Fng - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Fng

Howdy, new to the site, not new to Impalas. Currently have a 96 SS, but rode around the first 12 years of my life in a '62 and a 73, in that order.

There have been 6-8 Impalas in our family over the last forty years or so, and I intend to keep it that way for a while.

The 96 has been a project since last fall, and I pick that up from the body shop today.

Bought it from the son of the original owner who was on his way to federal prison for drugs and counterfeitting charges. It was beat all to hell, and almost went to the "Cash for Clunkers" program, and I couldn't let that happen. The guy needed quick money for his lawyer.

It's back together and ready for use as a DD, so I am going to start hunting for another older Impala to work on, probably a 62-64 , but I also have a crush on the 65-67s. I've had Mustangs and Chevelles, so I have a general idea of what I am doing, but I've been lurking here long enough to know this will be a treasure trove of info.

Looking forward to picking your brains a little, and yes, I will do searches before asking stupid questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Welcome to the Team Ichabod!

Have you ever consider a mid eighties Impala two door hard top? (last year for the Impala name was in 1985 after that they were all Caprices until the Impala SS came out in 1994). They are dimensionally the same size as an early seventies Chevelle, just a thousand pounds heavier due to side impact beams in the doors, and roll-over protection in the 'B' pillar, collapsible steering columns, padded dashes, and crumple zones fore and aft to absorb impacts (have I mentioned the huge 5 mph safety bumpers) not to mention about 400 pounds of sound deadener and heat wrap. They use a lot of the same suspension parts as the Chevelle just heavier duty. So even though a Chevelle part will not directly bolt up (say a tie rod) the bigger part on the Impala was built just like the Chevelle part only bigger and stronger. So all of your old Chevelle tricks to improve performance work just as well. They will also swallow a big block Chevy whole and still have room for headers.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Welcome Ichabod

great name

since you say youve been lurking for awhile i wont tell you how great these folks are at helping, like i usually do when greeting a newcomer

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Ichabod!

Have you ever consider a mid eighties Impala two door hard top? (last year for the Impala name was in 1985 after that they were all Caprices until the Impala SS came out in 1994). They are dimensionally the same size as an early seventies Chevelle, just a thousand pounds heavier due to side impact beams in the doors, and roll-over protection in the 'B' pillar, collapsible steering columns, padded dashes, and crumple zones fore and aft to absorb impacts (have I mentioned the huge 5 mph safety bumpers) not to mention about 400 pounds of sound deadener and heat wrap. They use a lot of the same suspension parts as the Chevelle just heavier duty. So even though a Chevelle part will not directly bolt up (say a tie rod) the bigger part on the Impala was built just like the Chevelle part only bigger and stronger. So all of your old Chevelle tricks to improve performance work just as well. They will also swallow a big block Chevy whole and still have room for headers.

Big Dave
Yes sir, I have considered those years. My uncle had a maroon '82 that I truly loved, and many of my friends have had the 78+ Impalas and Caprices. I'm in my mid forties, so I remember well the mid-late eighties when everyone had those cars lowered with graphics or pinstriping, and louvers in the hood and trunk, usually with Rallys, Vette, Camaro or Trans Am wheels. Glad those trends passed.

I just sold a 75 Laguna S-3, and I promised myself that my next older car project would have HUGE aftermarket support. I spent many hours cruising EBay, Craig's list and junkyards looking for obsolete body and interior parts for that car,(ever try to find a set of good swivel bucket seat bases?) and I've already run into problems finding oddball parts for the SS. I assume there is much more available for the older Impalas through aftermarket and used parts suppliers. Plus, I just would like to find an old '62 like my folks had when I was a kid. Navy blue, 283, column shift. If I can't find something similar, I'll probably end up with a 66-67, just cause I have always liked them. There was an older guy on my street growing up who had a light green 67 that I coveted for years. He gave it to his grandson who promptly ran it into a ditch.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Well the Tri Fives have huge support. You can build a brand new from the wheels up to the top of the car 1955, '56, or '57 Chevy. The aftermarket is just now starting to support the 1964 model year with more than patch panels and repop trim. Though it is a long way from being able to build a new car like you can with a Dynacor first generation Camaro or a 1965 Mustang. In the full size market I would probably guess the '64 as the most popular and the '66 filling in second place.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page