greetings from Europe - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

greetings from Europe

Hi all, I'm from Poland and just started working on my 64 Impala SS 2d hardtop, it needs complete renovation. I've bought it in 2004, it had no windscreen (last year I had new one shipped from US), it had 230 inline 6 cylinder motor with 3 speed manual transmission, I'm not sure if it's oryginal becouse somebody took off VIN plate, it was mostly disassambled and samebody started "bodywork" but all that need to be done again in right way. I'm planning to install air ride kit and probably 350 TPI engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1844   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7802.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7805.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7811.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1848  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM

I have never heard of or seen a 64SS with a 6 cylinder engine. Welcome aboard
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

there was one on ebay in february:

"This is a 1 family car that has been stored most of its life and has been unmolested and well preserved. It is a true Super Sport, and one of few SS’s built with a 230 straight 6. The car was owned by a woman and ordered that way when new. The 2nd and 3rd digits of the VIN are used to decode the model of the car. For this car they are 13, which decodes as impala SS L6. The original owners manual is still in the glove box."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1849   Click image for larger version

Name:	216.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1850   Click image for larger version

Name:	236.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1851  

'64 Impala SS 2d hardtop

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 PM

In 1964 a SS was a trim option just like an Impala, was different from a Caprice which differed from a Biscayne, or a Bel Air. All where trim levels and had no affect what so ever on what occurred under the hood. So you could order a 153 cubic inch fire breathing four cylinder for your 1964 SS if you wanted to.

The only full size cars were having an SS makes any difference is on the "427 SS'' Impala or Biscayne or Bel Air as that wasn't a trim offering but a package from the factory that bought you a 427 big block motor, heavy duty suspension, heavy duty cooling, a TH400 or a Muncie four speed manual, a special blistered hood, special 427 badges, and the rest of the SS trim package that was offered that year : and the 1994-'96 SS Impala which once again was a performance package and not a trim package. I believe that you could only get the 409 horsepower 409 unless you also ordered the SS package with it, but that the SS package didn't include anything else being heavy duty with it, so you could get it with a three speed or a PowerGlide, with all standard suspension.

Chevelle, Camaro and the 1968-'72 Nova's all had a package that included heavy duty everything when you ordered a SS with a high horsepower motor that was only available with the SS package. On these "Muscle Cars" as they came to be known buying an SS package meant you where buying a factory prepped hot rod that you got in drove to the track (because no one would race on the street back then). The SS package at that time in automotive history on those cars meant performance not trim, marketing guys have been trading on that ever since on pick-up and full size luxury yachts by labeling them SS with a package of decals.

If you want a high performance full size car buy an old police car (the 9C1 RPO option code on the order form) and stick a high horsepower motor under the hood to compliment the super duty suspension, and heavy duty cooling, and heavy duty electrical wiring, and the posi rear end containing taller than normal gears in the differential. You could always add a SS package by upgrading the trim after the fact or do like I do and drive it as a sleeper that no one suspects can do anything as it is an atypical hot rod, that isn't painted red, or has a loud exhaust that screams "hey look at me"

There is a difference between form and function. I prefer functionality over anything else and let the looks fall where they may. My race cars do not look like race cars they perform like race cars. Often folks get it backwards and strive to look like a race car and think by adding a lot of chrome it will make it perform like one.

Big Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Welcome Dyra

these folks here are a great source of information and always willing to help
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hi dyra. Welcome to the site. I am too from Poland (though live in the US now). A lots of great folks here.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Just to expand on Daves discussion a bit ( I agree that the SS could have any engine BTW)

"In 1964 a SS was a trim option just like an Impala"

What Dave meant is correct but he probably should have written that in 1964 the SS was a trim "level" rather than a trim "option"

This may seem like a nit but in Impala SS history it becomes important.

"Option" generally refers to RPO or Regular Production Option. And it is true that the SS was a RPO in '61 thru '63 and '68 and up. But in 1964 thru 1967 inclusive the SS was a separate designated product model (read trim level if you desire). This model could be ordered with any of the available engine choices.
This is why it is very easy to verify and determine a 1964-1967 impala SS by the VIN alone. The others years you need to determine the "options" to verify this fact.

This is generally well known and we take it for granted but it is good to remind us of this fact every onece in a while.

Good Day All

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site!

It looks like you Sir, are in for an in-depth restoration!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for that brief history about SS in 64 Impalas.

Yes it's gonna be depth restoration, specialy I need to import every part form US what takes time, good I have 64 bel air 4 door as a donor car for sheet metal parts, you can't find any impalas on yunk jards around here.

Best reagrds.

'64 Impala SS 2d hardtop
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM

We dont find 64 s in junk yards around here too much either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page