Howdy- 65 Impala SS- So. Cal. - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Howdy- 65 Impala SS- So. Cal.

Hello all,
I have had this '65 since 1982. Built in May in Van Nuys. She's been ignored for awhile and it's time to get at it.. My goal is to rebuild her stem to stern and improve upon all of her original attributes. A few years back, (late 90's?) Car Craft magazine tricked out a '65 Impala SS known as Project Heavy Metal. I saw this car while it was being built. They had nearly completed it when it was stolen. The idea was to make it go fast, handle, stop and look sweet. They succeeded. Sadly, the car vanished and just a few parts have turned up over the years..

I would like to go down the same path and using even more modern and efficient parts & would like to build a fun, fast and good looking Impala.
I'm presently considering an LS v. Big Block powerplant and possibly injection to maximize power and mileage.. Also planning on a 4L80 auto and some big brakes. This while keeping an original sleeper look.

Any and all comments or advice on products you like or dislike is welcome..
I have visited here many times, can't recall if I ever registered before so I did or did again..

It's a good forum and my thanks to those that started this..

GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Welcome to the Team Greg!

You don't have to choose between a big block or an LS-x motor. Chevy combined the two in the 8400 Vortec engine found in a lot of three quarter ton SUV and pick-ups. It is a 496 cubic inch (454 stroked a quarter inch) with it's own LS style cathedral port heads. Change the cam and the computer over to a FAST controller and you are looking at an easy thousand horsepower motor that idles like you mom's grocery getter.

Of course even with the stock aluminum heads that is still about 120 pounds more weight over the nose than a small block Chevy would be; so you are going to have to work harder to lighten the front end and improve your suspension. (battery in trunk saves 40 pounds, aluminum radiator another 19 pounds, aluminum water pump 4 pounds less, fiberglass hood 36 pounds, etc.)

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 PM

That's funny, I have had my 64 since 82. Must be something in the water that has recently been added to get people into restoring cars

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1965, impala, super sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page