1962 Impala 4 dr Sedan, new to group - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

1962 Impala 4 dr Sedan, new to group

I don't typically join groups online much less enter into threaded discussions but I figure my car is worth it.

I have owned this car since 1993. It was my first car when I turned 16 and it is presently slated to be inherited by my 5 year old son when he turns 16...maybe. The car was a daily driver for just about 10 years and was in decent enough shape to show at local cruises and car shows in the San Diego area.

It came stock equipped with air conditioning, 283 (and a cute little Rochester 2 barrel carb) with cast iron power glide (1st half of model year, originally sold in 1961), turquoise exterior and interior, one piece bumpers front and rear, shaded glass, 12volt electrical, 2 speed wipers, padded dash, AM radio, power steering, heavy duty springs/suspension (sat higher than most Impalas), single exhaust...

It's first performance incarnation had original engine block, ported 327 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm, Mallory Unilite Comp 9000 distributor, Mallory Hyfire buzz box and Promaster Coil, 2 inch dual exhaust still using the Ram Horns, TCI Streetfighter TH350 trans with manual valve body, 2000 rpm stall B&M converter, B&M Z-Gate shifter, and 2 1/2 inch wide white bias ply tires. It was sky blue with a white pearl top and looked every part the sleeper. I left the easy highway gears in the rear end but would easily scratch going into second which I just loved. And I resisted every request to put a stereo system in it. To me, it already had stereo: left cylinder bank; right cylinder bank.

I drove the car from South California to Colorado for college and it definitely suffered some. Colorado is not kind to vehicles.

After college, I drove it back to southern California, reworked the heads again. Then, in early 2003, I bought a set of Vortec heads for her and slapped those on, along with Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake. I got some great low end and was still using the untouched block. I would send that thing easily into the 4500 rpm range and never set a rod free. I floated a valve once which actually is what started the performance upgrades way back when.

I moved back to Colorado in spring 2003, and due to my 45 mile one way commute to work, I found myself sitting in traffic more than I cared to and wasn't all that comfortable watching the temp needle climb. Sooo, in went an aluminum cross flow radiator and electric fan. I mounted the electric fan on modified mounts with rubber isolators within the original shroud which still wrapped perfectly around the new radiator. That lasted for a little while until gas costs were killing me. I retired her at that time.

Presently, she is hastily thrown together after removing the entire front end of the car; completely stripped down to the frame rails at the firewall, due to having to move residences but wasn't quite done working on the car. I acquired a performance built 305 (yes, that isn't a typo for 350) which had less than 1000 miles which now resides in the engine bay, Hedman headers funneling the exhaust to absolutely no pipes; just the collectors. I scare the neighbors. Lowered suspension; 3-4 inches front, 2 inches rear, polyurethane front end rebuild and retaining the heavy duty springs for handling sake.

That is the long and short of it's history since I have owned it for the last 18 years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Welcome to the Team Aaron!

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1962, 283, powerglide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page