Craig from Ridetech - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Craig from Ridetech

Hello all,
I'm Craig Meyer with Ridetech. I'll be hanging around here pretty regularly to help out with any questions you might have. I'm also probably gonna be pestering some of you with questions for my own build too. I've been working on a 61 Impala 4 door for a couple years now. Still has a way to go before it's road ready, but it will get there eventually. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Welcome to the Team Craig!

Whats up with the 1961 more door. Hows the body? What are your plans?

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

The body on the car is pretty solid. It has a few minor issues, but nothing that can't be easily patched. The worst part is the rear floor pans. those are gone and need to be replaced,(car was parked outside with the windows down for a while). The main plan is to just get it cleaned up and driveable then have fun with it. I'm waiting till I can score a 61 2 door or convertible to really invest money in one of these . It has the 283 v8 with a manual 3spd with the pull cable overdrive. The one thing i'm struggling with is finding a decent deal on a set of front and rear splash pans and the vent window regulators. Those items were already robbed from this car when I got it. Probably explains the killer price I paid for it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Just to be safe (and ease my consciences) I would consider an extra floor brace taking your rear front seat stud (bolt) and reinforcing the floor pan with a cross brace that runs from door channel to door channel. That should keep any stress from being transferred to a rusty floor pan (don't want you falling out from inside the car.

You are aware how rare that Borg-Warner auxiliary OD transmission bolted to the back of your PowerGlide is, I hope. It is just about worth it's weight in gold. I believe it can even be adapted to work with a TH350 once you get a better project car.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh, the floor pans are in need of much more than a brace at this point. It's Flintstone style right now so they are going to be totally replaced. Yeah I hear those overdrive units are pretty rare. Never thought of using it with a TH350 if that will work it's a neat idea.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Seriously if you where to drive around as it is the floor boards could buckle as they need to be complete from front to rear and they rely upon the compound curves of the floor pan for it's strength. With the rear foot wells and seat platform missing the front seat could rotate about the bolt down point of the front seat at the back trying to dump you out the hole behind you as the car accelerates (transferring weight to the rear which isn't supported).

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM

Welcome Craig!

We had some email contact previously for my build - http://www.impalas.net/forums/showth...1484#post31484

Everything is in the car and now I am dealing with the electronics.

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
BA.

Welcome aboard Craig, glad to have you and your RideTech experience here!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page