Howdy from Hungary! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Howdy from Hungary!

Well my name is Bill and I just bought my first Impala. She's a black, four door, six cyl, with 3 on the tree. Most importantly though: she was exactly what I was looking for.

I'll post some pictures here within the next day or so (I'm at work at the moment) but one question I did have was concerning the year of manufacture (I hear '66 and I hear '67). If there was someone who had some information on European Impalas I would be willing to post the tag #'s etc. or if preferred I could start a new thread elsewhere.

Either way, I look forward to meeting everyone.

Till then!
-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Welcome to the Team William!

Most European and middle east Impalas where made stateside. It will have the same trim tag as all the rest of US made cars with one important exception. It will say "for export" on the trim tag. This means that all US laws are not applicable (such as smog laws on newer cars destined for California).

Your build date will be the two numeric and one alpha number in the upper left corner of the tag (the two numbers designate the calender month with the letters A-E corresponding to the week of the month; with the first week being A and the last week will be either a D or an E).

Then there is the year it was made. It will be the first two numbers following the letters ST (for STyle). The next five numbers designate the body style. Which are followed by the two or three alpha characters that tell you which assembly plant built the car.

Of course most tell the years by the front and rear of the car. 1965 looks just like a 1966 to most people except for the tail lights. The 1965 car had two or three round tail lights in the middle of the trunk line, and the 1966 had two or three square tail lights at the bumper. 1967 had the parking lights with a big course grill on the front of the car and the 1968 had a fine lined series of chromed trim lines covering the front parking lights. In 1969 they used the big wrap around bumper for the first time.

Big Dave
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks Dave.

Are you talking about the Tag on the firewall (passenger side) in the engine compartment? Mine says:

General Motors Continental Antwerp
Make: Chev Model 16339
Chassis no: CA-6163393020
Release 6-3307-6 Paint 478
Trim 866

Since my first post, I have been touring the site a bit and noticed the section for decoding the tags. I'll probably post a more detailed thread on the matter there within the next day or so as I'd like to know more about my car. The Hungarians have it registered as a '66 for their "Veteran Inspection" which requires the car to be 97% original or better to pass (which they say this vehicle does) but their registration says the car is a '67. I'm curious as to why there's the disconnect with the year.

Either way, I fully intend to bring the car back with me when I return to the states.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Apparently you car was made in Antwerp, Belgium. Just have to post a photo as the styling changed year to year back then.

GM closed the assembly plant in Antwerp in May of 2010 as part of it's bankruptcy. They had been making Opel cars there prior to shutting down the line. I was going to suggest a pilgrimage to look at were your car was "born", but I'm afraid by now even the building will be gone so I expect all you would see is will be just a fenced off vacant lot.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 07-19-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Antwerp GM plant update
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

The pictures, as promised:

Heres the photo that accompanied her internet ad:

I dont know why this one keeps re-sizing itself but...

I should note that since these pictures have been taken, I did go and install a set of seat belts. There was no way my wife would ride in the poor thing without at least a lap belt (the anchors were already there).

Good Times!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Nice looking car
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Well from the front you have a 1965 or 1966 car. Need to see the rear end to know for sure.

Big Dave
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I must have goofed when I posted the pictures, I noticed that I posted one of the pictures twice! I'll get a picture of her back end tomorrow.

Am I correct in thinking the 65s had bubble tail lights? This one has the flat square ones if that helps any.

I've been poking around the net trying to find info on her numbers and I found that the engine number on the firewall matches the number on the engine. That had me pretty excited. (the number was: 09 6218718)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Flat square ones makes it a 1966 model year.

Big Dave
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks!

I actually would love to take the car on a pilgrimage to Antwerp one day (even if it is just to see a vacant lot) but I'm afraid I'll have to drive there twice! Once in a normal European sized car to learn the route and find a parking space big enough, then the second time I could take the Impala.

Any time I go out for a drive, I have to know EXACTLY where I'm going (as the roads are just wide enough for me and a bicycle in the oncoming direction) and I also have to know two places where I can park (in case there are not two adjacent spots in the first lot... due to size)

I cant wait to get her back to the states where we have normal sized roads!

Thanks again!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Your car

The car is a 1966

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Welcome William, nice one you have!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM

William congratulations for your car! Seems very well keep and original too. Interiors are great. Between 65 and 66, I prefer 65 because the taillights are "more Impala" ones, but yours is definitely superb!
Greetings from Portugal
- Luis (67 owner)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungary Bill View Post
Hey, thanks Dave.

Are you talking about the Tag on the firewall (passenger side) in the engine compartment? Mine says:

General Motors Continental Antwerp
Make: Chev Model 16339
Chassis no: CA-6163393020
Release 6-3307-6 Paint 478
Trim 866

Since my first post, I have been touring the site a bit and noticed the section for decoding the tags. I'll probably post a more detailed thread on the matter there within the next day or so as I'd like to know more about my car. The Hungarians have it registered as a '66 for their "Veteran Inspection" which requires the car to be 97% original or better to pass (which they say this vehicle does) but their registration says the car is a '67. I'm curious as to why there's the disconnect with the year.

Either way, I fully intend to bring the car back with me when I return to the states.
Antwerp built CKD Chevy's doesnt have a VIN-number.

CA-6163393020
CA = Continental Antwerp
6 = 1966
16339 = model
3020 = 3020th Chevrolet produced in 1966 in Antwerp
Release 6-3307-6
Has something to do with the shifts which built the car
Paint 478 = Opel paint code = 478 Tunesiengelb (Tunisian Yellow)
That's about this color is orig. paint

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

68: Thanks, I'm hoping I can keep her this way. When I get back to the states she'll probably be my DD (I'll have my little pickup for the bad days) so I'm hoping I'm up to the challenge of keeping her pristine.

Luis: I too prefer the bubble tail lights over the flat ones. But I tell ya, when I saw this car in person that went right out the window

Speedy: Thanks! I must say, even though its not the original paint, I prefer the black to the Tunisian yellow. If I bought the book "Chevy by the numbers" would it still apply to my car since it was made in Antwerp? Really I would like to find out about the numbers on the transmission and rear diff.

My thoughts are: If this car is still sporting her original equipment (after half a century of operation) then I'll keep her clean and leave her the way she is. But if she's mix and match then I would like to change a few things about her (327 and disc brakes for starters)

Thanks again everyone.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to kentsu
Great paint code info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyy View Post
Paint 478 = Opel paint code = 478 Tunesiengelb (Tunisian Yellow)
That's about this color is orig. paint
I would love to know the source of the info for Tunisian Yellow being code 478. I am researching paint code 471 from a '66 Antwerp-built Chevy (Corvair) and cannot find it listed on any Opel paint chart that I have been able to find on the Internet. Thanks!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Welcome William, I would complement you on your car , but the photos are missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page