New Project 68 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

New Project 68 Impala

Hey guys, I am a college student from Sydney Australia, just bought a project 68 Impala fastback 327 small block. Have a few basic questions i'm struggling to get answers to. Where is the power steering reservoir located? and what fluid should I use? also the steering siezed up so I am hoping it's out of fluid, Also what oil should i be using 10W-30?. and What transmission fluid should I use?, It's equipped with the 2 speed powerglide. Also just normal green coolant be ok?. Thanks for your time, I will be covering the restoration on this forum and hope to make some new friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Fluids

Mack,
There is really no secret formula to the older vehicles. The power steering reservoir is attached to the power steering pulley. Should have a small black twist off cap. As far as the other fluids go, just get Trans fluid that is compatible with GM cars and 10W 30 is fine for you vehicle.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Welcome to the Team Mack!

Here is a picture of a couple of power steering pumps. The reservoir was a tank with the pump inside.

It uses a special anti-foaming hydraulic fluid available at most autoparts stores.

The transmission fluid should be Dextron III - Ford ATF, but be very careful not to over fill ther transmissions oil pan or you will blow the seals and create a massive leaks.

Motor oil should be petroleum based and not synthetic. You choose the weight of the oil to match your ambient air temperature (seasonally not daily). The higher the outside temp the higher the last number should be. You should install an oil pressure gauge where you can keep an eye on it. A tired engine with worn bearings will not like a thin oil (small viscosity number) as it needs oil pressure to maintain an oil film over the bearing surface.

As to to your steering being frozen it ios probably a problem in the steering gear box. It has a lubricant that is not refillable. If it gums up the ball bearings inside will not roll and it will not turn. You can buy a replacement steering gear box on line or take one off another Chevy as they all interchange. The newer the box the more road feel you will get as the one in your car gives no feed back what-so-ever.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou very much my good sir, much obliged to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page