New to the forum - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

New to the forum

I work at a restoration shop north of Nashville TN. I personally am not much of a GM guy, no offence. But I'm restoring a 65 Impala SS at my work. I'm 22 years old, and have only done one resto-mod on a GM car previous to this. I joined another Impala forum to guide me through this resto at impalaforums.com, but not many people had any input. One of the members referred me to this forum, and after looking through the site I believe I have found the place I am looking for. I will post my build in the restoration corner, and hope to hear y'alls input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 AM

Welcome to the Team Brandon!

The four biggest manufactures all made the bodies about the same way. It wasn't exactly rocket science to spot weld stamped steel together (the technology was perfected during WWII, so that explains a lot of the air plane influence on early cars). The only difference in a name plate lay in the design of the engine.

GM sold their early engine technology and TurboHydramatics transmissions to American Motors when it first started, up but Ford and Chrysler where developing their power plants independently as well as GM in a quest for more and more power out of a lighter power plant by applying what they learned about motors from the war effort (Uncle Sam paid a lot of money in R&D to develop fighter piston aircraft engine power, and we Americans also freely copied a lot from Merlin-Rolls Royce engine even turning out clones here states side).

Each engine design (even among the GM brand) had different characteristics as different divisions favored factors in a motor. Bore stroke piston and combustion chamber as well as angle of the V number of main caps and cam all factored into how an engine preformed or fit in a cars body.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notachevyguy65 View Post
I work at a restoration shop north of Nashville TN. I personally am not much of a GM guy, no offence. But I'm restoring a 65 Impala SS at my work. I'm 22 years old, and have only done one resto-mod on a GM car previous to this. I joined another Impala forum to guide me through this resto at impalaforums.com, but not many people had any input. One of the members referred me to this forum, and after looking through the site I believe I have found the place I am looking for. I will post my build in the restoration corner, and hope to hear y'alls input.

That sure was nice of that guy to refer you here. lol
Welcome!!

1965 impala 2dr

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mpala383stroker View Post
That sure was nice of that guy to refer you here. lol
Welcome!!
Thanks again Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page