New owner from Anchorage - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

New owner from Anchorage

Just got my hands on a '68 Impala Fastback up here in Alaska. Runs and drives but needs a lot of work none the less so I'm sure I'll be posting often. Right now it has a 350 out of a '72 chevelle, 2.02 heads, edelbrock performer intake, quadrajet 4 barrel, HEI distributor and a true dual exhaust. Anyways, any suggestions on some good books to get my hands on to help with the restoration process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Books

Nothing better for original restorations than the assembly manual. The service manual is also an excellent reference guide.

Paul. ( see below for examples)

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparm...&_sop=15&_sc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Ch...#ht_1957wt_722

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Welcome to the Team Brian!

Might add the Fisher Body Repair manual is very helpful as well as it told body techs how to replace sheet metal and where all the trim goes when it is time to put it back on after paint. Two other "good" books are the Chassis Service manual as well as the Service manual to repair any mechanical problems.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Welcome Brian! In addition to those valuable is accumulating refeance pics. from anyone who has them. It good to see the parts in real situations that people are physically installing/restoring parts.
Pics. has helped me extremly on my 68 Convert. for my own resto. as well as helping others.
Looking foward to pictures also!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Paint, rims, and tires and she'll be good. oh, and the entire interior, weather stripping, new exhaust, new distributor, new fan, headlamps, air cleaner assembly and oil pan gasket...ehh, could be worse!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110814_185110.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2037

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110814_185742.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2038
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 AM

Yes it could be worse, I know; but it's all there and you have a great start; a blank canvas!
Also I always liked the Alaskan scenery,great background in the pics and like those side marker lights too .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Actually got to work on it today and was very pleasantly surprised. Threw in a half tank of fuel and got her started. Also mounted and balanced four brand new tires and installed four new headlights. We checked all the lights and the only ones not working are the blinkers and the reverse lights. The blinkers I was able to find the problem quickly but never got a chance to check out the reverse lights. Next week the turn signal switch, MSD HEI Distributor, key and tumbler, and fuel door/license plate bracket should be in. Once that stuff plus a new oil pan gasket is installed and I figure out the reverse light issue, I'll have her on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page