Hello there my Impala brothern - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to dgrown
Hello there my Impala brothern

Hey i'm Dave I've been browsing here for a while i bought a 1969 sport coupe last summer and am in the process of a ground up resto my plans of simple new motor and trans fell by the way side once i started looking into what was available for performance upgrade for these cars

I currently have in my possession for the car
CPP 2 ince drop spindles
wilwood front brakes
CPP rear with e-brake (would have gone with wilwoods but no e-brake)
all rotors cross drilled and gas slotted
1.5ince drop springs front and rear
Hotchkis full rear end kit with dual upper control arms
Energy suspension poly body mounts
Alot more I'm forgetting about currently

whats being ordered next
full global west front end kit
custom fabrication to frame protouring style

Last edited by dgrown; 08-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM
BA.

it's good to have a plan and some vision, sounds like you're off to a good start man!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
it's good to have a plan and some vision, sounds like you're off to a good start man!
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that my idea of a mild build is gone I'm leaning more towards just keep spending on it till either

a) I run out of ideas
b) I run out of money

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Welcome to the Team Dave!

I learned a long time ago that I (and the speed industry) have more ideas than I have money. I would put down on paper your goals and build to that goal. Save the rest of your money for your next project (it might be a low cost late model Nova that will offer more performance than the Impala ever will for the same amount of money if you like the thrill of acceleration; which could be lateral as well as linear). If you buy parts continuously without a budget you risk loosing interest (that is you run out of money) before your project is completed. I discovered this with my first two or three attempts at building a car. By the time I had built twenty of them or so I could finish them in half the time and on budget so that I enjoyed driving them more.

Big Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Dave – Good luck on the cool project! Do you have a goal of when you’ll finish? We’ll keep watching your progress.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Toll Free: 888-735-6425
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave for the advice I have the vision of trying to incorporate the creature comforts of a newer vehicle but I'm not a fan of the style of newer vehicles. The whole start of it was my best friend built a 80's 4 door impala into a rat rod and I was trying to convince him to put leather seats in and some electronics in and his response was " my car I'm going to build it how I want build your own damn car and do it your way". I went out and bought this and tore it down last summer and have been accumulating the parts since. As to your question Hotchkis I don't have a goal of when to have it done by the end of the fall I would like to have the chassis rolling and back under the body so next summer when the snow melts I can begin on the body work. I don't have colors picked out yet I would like to do as much of the work as possible my self as well as. The paint work

I apologize for the lack of punctuation in this was all typed on my cell haven't been home in 3 weeks. Lol have to pay for this thing some how

Thanks Dave
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Dave I don't know how much room you have in your garage but if you are thinking of doing a frame off restoration I can recommend buying or building a rotisserie to work on your car's body while it is off the frame. (the frame itself can be stacked on it's side against the wall to free up room). A rotisserie cuts the effort of working on the car by much more than half and helps you to do a better job as no one likes welding upside down on their back under a car on jack stands (those cute looking sparks are really hot when they land on top of you!).

Big Dave
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Dave as per pictures already up i think answer that question of frame off yes so an update on what has been ordered since i got home
17x8 of these
Hotchkis sway bar kit
POL tubular upper and lower front control arms
KYB gas adjust shocks for front and rear
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

got a bit bored last night so kinda got my rear brakes put together

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-29-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Break up pictures
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

well havent updated in a while but thinking i might be done for the winter the chassis is assembled

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-29-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Break up pictures
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Man I wish I had the money for Hotchkis and Willwood, looks great!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Dave – The Hotchkis parts look really good on your frame! So you’re done for the winter? Did winter even start yet?
You listed Pro-Touring mods for your frame. What kind of modifications are you going to make…or did you make them already?

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Toll Free: 888-735-6425
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John this is what happens with no wife/gf or kids... on one hand i dont have to worry about that "spare" money kicking around i know where it all went.

As to your question about the mods to the frame i'm not to sure what i want or need as in my circle of friends i have lots that drag race or dirt track race so for me to try and figure out what i would need to be able to auto cross the car i dont know. that being said if some one reading this has any ideas please guide me in the correct direction

Hotchkis as to your comments about winer there is no snow on the ground yet but its only the matter of days away now hopefully i can get home and pull the car out of the barn for a few more pictures before the snow flies and i dont see the car till may ( i got the body back on the chassis just no pictures yet)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 AM

My question is after stiffening up the suspension is what type of body bushings did you use? Plastic or Paper? No that's not right; it's plastic or the soft rubber bushings that replaced the harder rubber bushings that the factory used but are not reproduced.

Big Dave
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
My question is after stiffening up the suspension is what type of body bushings did you use? Plastic or Paper? No that's not right; it's plastic or the soft rubber bushings that replaced the harder rubber bushings that the factory used but are not reproduced.

Big Dave
i put poly everything in my body mounts are poly when they go in if there not replaced with solid aluminum by that point
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Wouldn't recommend aluminum bushings as they will transmit a lot of road noise into the car. The polyurethane bushings are stiff enough to let the body reinforce the frame, but still dampen out noise. If you where to install a full fourteen point cage with triangulating bracing then I would consider the aluminum bushings as everything is a solid piece at that point.

Big Dave
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

at this point in time a cage is not the look i'm going for i want to stiffen up the frame with something like an Xbrace in the center section of the frame. as to road noice and vibration not a big consern for me my daily driver is a 2500hd with cranked torsions and mud tires... i work in the oil field in northern alberta 60 miles (as the crow flies) from fort ft macmurry
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrown View Post
at this point in time a cage is not the look i'm going for i want to stiffen up the frame with something like an Xbrace in the center section of the frame. as to road noice and vibration not a big consern for me my daily driver is a 2500hd with cranked torsions and mud tires... i work in the oil field in northern alberta 60 miles (as the crow flies) from fort ft macmurry
Look at some of the professional chassis builders efforts (these guys have finite element node software as well as CAD-CAM) and how they stiffened up a Tri-Five ladder frame to be able to handle a 1000 horse dual turbo 540 big block in a '55 Chevy. Then compare their aftermarket custom built frame to a factory riveted one. Do the same to yours and it should be as stiff as as an oil derrick.

Just boxing it in will help immensely though it does add weight so a lot of holes helps with that. On the PowerBlock series Trucks they made a Ford Courier Super Snake auto cross truck out of a Jap built four cylinder truck. You can see how they boxed it in and cut the lightening holes in the steel plate before welding it up.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page