Old American Iron - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Old American Iron

Howdy to everyone, I love all old American classic iron, cars and trucks. Still, I have always been the most fond of Impalas. I have a couple 1968 project Impalas I would like to restore back to "driver status" Help and advice is always welcome. Thank you for allowing me to participate and best wishes. Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Welcome to the Team Robert!

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Big Dave,
It was really late last night when I joined Y'alls site, so late I didn't even continue the search I set out upon.
I was chasing a 4 spd console for a 68/69 Impala. I like to use factory parts when they are available and affordable.
I watch for factory consoles regularily and I had been window shopping at a somewhat popular auction site. I actually used my auction site name on Y'alls site too because I figure it describes me fairly well, my wife says I am completely obssessed with anything that has wheels on or in it!
Anyway, back to my story, I was looking at a console that had a "Buy It Now" price of 3g's and I figured I needed to keep looking which is what brought me to Impalas.net. I hope I'm able to find a factory part that I can afford, trade for or maybe someone who has already dealt with this scenario and willing to tell what they ended up using. I have an automatic console and I even bought a Chevelle 4spd top plate to see if I could interchange the two and make a hybrid. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 AM
BA.

Hi Rob, welcome to the site. Glad to have ya. Share some pics when you have some time.

A few times a year, we have the "Cars and Parts" magazine swap meet / car show / car sale and I see various Impala consoles there every single time. I just can't tell one year from the other.

So, maybe a little google search can help you figure out if the same event comes your way. I would think it would, since it's a national, old, well known publication. Oh, also wouldn't hurt to call Memory Lane or Desert Vally Auto.

Good Luck.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 AM

Welcome Robert, Well this is just up my alley! I have been collecting 4 spd. parts now for 6 years and finally got all the factory stuff, the bad news parts alone cost me 3x's what I paid for the car.
The good news is that if you go with a Tremec or simalar style trans. you will not need the factory trans hump or the 4 spd console, you can use an automatic which are a little bit easier to find. You also can use other pedal assemblies from 66 up; you can use the curved clutch fork but you'll have to work at the geometry with adj. rods. They do not repo the console brackets for 68-70 but you can use the 67's.
And thats just trans. stuff, now you have to look out for buckets seats, seat brackets all which are very hard to find or extensively rusted but this is factory stuff again you can use the easier 65-67 parts.
I have lots of ongoing pics. if you need them; I'll be glad to answer any question that you have. I would pass on the 3k console, a good price is around $400 complete as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page