selling my first car - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

selling my first car

hi there,

My first car I purchased from the original owner in 1986, a 1963 Impala 4 door hard top. In 1991 my dad & I figured out that it didn't have the original engine so we built a 4 bolt main 350 & put that in it. The car has no options, it's pretty basic. It's a 3 on the tree with over drive.

I drove the car from 1986-1995 & parked it ever since. It has deteriorated from the weather over the years but is over all in pretty decent shape.

I don't think I'll have the time or resources to fix this car up, as I now have 4 kids - so I'm thinking about selling it.

For those of you that have done this will I regret it?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Welcome to the Team Karl!

Yes I suspect you will. "You will regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tommorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life!" (and you won't have Paris like Rick and Ilsa had?).

Big Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Karl,
I'm sure you will have some regret, we all would love to keep our memories fresh BUT if you are not going to use or repair the vehicle it might be better to let someone else enjoy it. I would take lots of pictures so you can still enjoy the great memories and then let it go to a good home.
I have seen too many cars just sit and deteriorate while thier owners dream of the day they will fix it up and use it. Just be honest with yourself, would it be better off in someone elses garage.
Also I don't want to sound snooty but you said it yourself, this cars is a fairly plane jane without anything really special about it (other than your attachment of coarse).
Now this comment is comming from a guy who has kept his 1964 since 1976 so I do not take these things lightly.
Many people take a break during thier "family" years and then have a great time later in life finding a similar car as their first one.

Good luck in whatever your decision turns out to be.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Hearing people regretting getting rid of their first car has kept me hanging on to mine all these years. Now it is getting the restoration I always wanted to do to it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Keep it for few more years and rebuild it together with kids when they grew up. With all the help of four kids, you can get it done in matter of months and not years. Given that you will have the budget to do so.

As to your original question, I think you will at some point regret it. But said that, if I were you, I would consider selling it, putting the money aside and maybe in few years, you buy a decent driver to enjoy the classic car hobby.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys - I guess that's what I've been wrestling with is wondering whether or not it would turn into a fun hobby for me AND the kids. The oldest boy is 7 now, so it may be a while before I find out.

Are old cars selling right now with the economy & all?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSutton View Post
thanks for the input guys - I guess that's what I've been wrestling with is wondering whether or not it would turn into a fun hobby for me AND the kids. The oldest boy is 7 now, so it may be a while before I find out.

Are old cars selling right now with the economy & all?

If your oldest is already 7 that's a great time to start him on the hobby and start a restoration with him!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

My oldest kid is 5 and he already helps me with some work around the car (topping off the fluids, air cleaner replacement, running wires for speakers, etc). The other one (2.5 years old) sits in the front and pretends he's driving.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Will I regrety it

Karl:
A question for all ages to answer but only you can. I have a 1966 Impala SS I have owned since: 1975. The car and I have been through more than I can talk about. It's very much restored back to original now but it just sits in my garage and barely gets any use. Now, if I plan on teaching my kids about working on cars this is a perfect car to show them a few things with. In your case, you have much more work to do. Just remember, the lessons you teach your kids will remain with them forever.
I love the satisfaction I get from working with my hands to fix anything and then sit back and appreciate what I was able to accomplish. Is this a virtue that you want your kids to have? Of course there is also the room factor, do you have the room to keep this car along with all their bikes, sports equipment, your tools etc?
You have to weigh the pros and cons and none of us are in your situation but one thing I can tell you, I can't count on two hands all the stories I have heard about regretting not keeping their cars and searching to later replace them.
It's your decision to make my friend.....

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Spent some time this weekend trying to get the brakes working, I put in a new master cylinder, but the front driver side wheel cylinder or the hose going to it must be shot. My son did hang out with me & helped pump the brake pedal, asked lots of questions. In the end though I sort of wished we had spent the time going for a bike ride or fishing. So I think that's telling me to let my past go & send her off to someone else. What do you guys think would be a fair price? Here are some pics;

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3463...mpala?h=7c7435

It has a rebuilt 350 with about 20K miles on it - runs good. The only thing needed to make a drivable is fixing the brakes which I may or may not get to. It obviously needs a total cosmetic makeover, but mechanically it seems pretty good. Any idea for a good asking price?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Yikes Carl, can't believe you're going to get rid but it sounds like you are settled on the idea. Having two youngens myself i can imagine if they showed you the slightest bit of disinterest, you might feel like you're almost contributing to child labour.

I wouldn't like to say how much you should sell it for, not least because i'm in the UK, but i wish you the best and i hope it goes to a good home.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
I've sold so many that I regret, but then again - there's some that I sold out of sheer need and later found them again with happy owners and had the joy of telling them some of the history I knew about the car. Every once in a while (like recently!) I've had the joy (and aggravation) of bringing some old beast back from the dead (see my history on here about my '63 Impala) only to send it back out into the world with a fresh coat of paint and a new happy owner.

I am sure I'll miss my '63 that I just sold - God knows I'd have never been able to patch it back together as easily as I did w/out the help of many of the guys on here and all their tech-tips. But some kid came by in July and said he was 'in love' with my car - and offered me a decent price for it - so off she went!

It might hurt for a while - but just like women, there'll always be another one that'll catch your eye! (wink).

'63 Impala Sedan
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Catch your eye

There was a time when two things did catch our eye and still does. I am not sure which one came first girls or cars. I know the 65 Impala that I am just finishing now I bought because I remember looking at one when I was about 16 or so and thinking it was the most beautiful thing I had laid eyes on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page