Hello From Vermont - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Hello From Vermont

Ive been lurking around here for a couple weeks now. I just picked up a 67 convertible with I am guessing a non modified 283/2 speed thats been in storage for around 15 years.

The guy who I got it from had a small tank hooked up to the fuel pump to run it, as he didn't know what was in the fuel tank. I plan on dropping the tank and flushing it out, but am wondering if I should seal it while I have it off or just clean it and put it back on?

I have also been reading up on oils and old heads and stuff. I know oil is always a touchy subject on the interwebs, but was wondering if anyone had used or has an opinion on Amsoil Z-Rod oil. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx

Well I will be getting some before photo's today. hopefully I haven't bitten off more than i can chew/afford with this project lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Welcome to the Team Chris!

I am not a big fan of synthetic oils (all oils are synthetic: that is they are refined, it is only a matter of degree). I feel the extra cost isn't worth the perceived benefit. Especially in an older small block Chevy that has primitive oil control (your might even have a piece of rope as an oil seal) and has known issues with oil leaks even with thicker with dead dinosaur oil. Synthetics will pour out like water if you have any leaks now. A better choice is Valvoline High mileage motor oil and a can of GM EOS or Lucas ZDDP oil supplement.

Todays synthetic motor oils have approximately 600 ppm ZDDP with oils like Valvoline High Mileage having 880 ppm ZDDP. This is down from SAE 30 SE/CC motor oil you would have bought back in 1970 which had 1400 ppm of ZDDP. ZDDP has been falling since 1975 when the first catalytic converter was installed on autos. Racing oil has 1100 ppm ZDDP but they have no detergents needed to buffer the acids and trap the blow by contaminates from normal driving (you change racing oil after every race not at 3000 miles)

As to your gas tank: gas turns to varnish with time. It is how the ancient Greeks found varnish to paint their statues and bas reliefs on their temples from oil seeps where the gas had turned to varnish from aging. The Oracle of Delphi got high sniffing gasoline fumes as there is a petroleum weep were oil springs out of the ground along with volcanic gasses that are equally poisonous and hallucinogenic. Varnish is great for painting wood and porous stone but bad for carburetors.

The fuel system will have to be cleaned by dropping the tank and flushing the lines with brake cleaner. If there is gas in the carb it will have to be rebuilt, or buy one already rebuilt if you are not worried about the car not retaining it's numbers matching aspect.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave. I got a syphone kit from advance auto the other day. a rubber ball with some tubing. when i finally got some of the old gas into the ball it just disintegrated in my hands. I'm glad I didn't try running that through the rubber fuel line/pump/ and carb. My next day off I'm gonna drop the tank and give it a good doucheing.

I picked up some high milage oil and zinc addative and ordered an oil filter adaptor.

I have been having a hard time finding radiator hoses, Advance gave me 2 straight flex hoses and Bond auto gave me 2 that were close but the top hose was about 5 inches too short and the bottom hose was just a long piece with a 90 in it, almost the right length but needs another bend to go onto the lower rad connection. Im gonna have to pull the old ones and see if anyone will be able to match up what I have with something in stock.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM

A molded hose is going to be harder to find in an auto parts store, they are going to want to sell you a flex hose. You may have better luck with a restoration house that specalizes in date coded reproductions.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Well I got the bottom hose replaced. Ive got another top hose to try coming in the A.M.

I found out I've got a Johny Cash Impala lol. Body is 67 convertible. block from a 1965 heads from 65,66,or 67. and intake from a 1968 307/327.

When i went to pay for the car my girlfriend noticed some wire hanger twisted up and going from the frame to the engine area and told me "that junk is held together by wire" Well come to find out as I was removing the belts, the power steering cradle was broken at the hole where it mounts to the block. it looks like it was the wrong cradle as it was hitting on the timing chain cover. anyways that coat hanger was holding the tension on the PS pump belt but not doing a good job aligning the pulleys lol.

Since I was tearing things apart I decided to clean stuff up I am wondering what I should use on the steering pump? would kerosene hurt anything inside?

Also I drained the steering fluid the dipstick says to use auto trans fluid type "A" Do I need to stick with that or will modern power steering fluid be better nowadays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page