New guy in Oregon - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

New guy in Oregon

Hello everyone -

I have a 65 Bel Air 4 door. Was originally a V8, but before I got it someone put a 6 in it. Has a 3 speed on the column. Have had it for about 3 years and it runs/drives great. Recently found some pretty serious frame rail cancer that will require a frame replacement. Found a solid one locally and it was just dropped off today. Now the fun begins!?! Pulling the body off was never something I wanted to do....but here I am. I figured now would be a good time to join so that I have a good place to ask the million questions this job will generate. I am not doing a full restoration as I don't have that kind of money. This will basically be a frame replacement, including prep/paint frame, new suspension bushings and ball joints, new fuel and brake lines.

So...be prepared for questions. I am pretty mechanical with engines and transmissions, but never did much body work so that's where most of the questions will come from.

Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Welcome to the Team Kirk!

Before you go any further I would have the frame blasted clean and primed with self etching (zinc rich) primer. Then you can get a cheap paint brush and a couple of quarts of POR-15 and paint the frame. Once dried you will never have a rust issue with the frame so long as you own the car (or your great, great grand kids as far as that goes). Besides once you see that shinny black foundation you are going to want to do the same to the suspension pieces (control arms and steering linkage and the rear end, etc.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM

Welcome aboard, Kirk. You have joined a great resource with this forum. Good luck on your project and look forward to updates from you as you move to completing it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Kirk!

Before you go any further I would have the frame blasted clean and primed with self etching (zinc rich) primer. Then you can get a cheap paint brush and a couple of quarts of POR-15 and paint the frame. Once dried you will never have a rust issue with the frame so long as you own the car (or your great, great grand kids as far as that goes). Besides once you see that shinny black foundation you are going to want to do the same to the suspension pieces (control arms and steering linkage and the rear end, etc.

Big Dave
Couldn't agree more! POR-15 is the way to go!

OCD Customs
My Wheels
Classic Nation car pictures.

1965 Impala SS
6.2L LSX with 4L80E, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes, Air Ride
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Wecome Kirk. I had to smile when I read you are not going to do a full restoration. I said the same thing. Once the body came off there was no way I was going to put it back together without repairing, restoring or replacing. Took 10+ years due to money being in short supply. Thankfully the guy doing the actual work let me spread it out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Oh....trust me. I still have 4 of 5 kids at home. I'm the only one doing the work. I know I will end up doing extra, but this is still more repair than restoration. Suspension....yep makes sense to do it. Hard lines...yep. Fuel tank...we'll see. Rear end....just a cleanup and paint. My floor pan is fine, but I'll just have to live with the holes in my trunk pan for a while longer. My seat covers and carpet were already in process when I found the cancer so at least is will look nice on the inside.

Thanks for the welcome. I know I will have questions.

I suppose the first one is suspension bushings. Good quality rubber (thinking Raybestos Pro Grade) or poly? I have always been afraid of poly making the ride too harsh. I did some searching on the forums and it sounds like there is no real answer.....just preference. Wish I knew someone that had a similar car with poly that I could ride in. Oh well...........maybe I'll flip a coin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page