New to the site - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

New to the site

Hello everyone -

A little background. I've decided I want a '59 or '60 Impala to drive as my everyday car, however, I'm a total rookie so I've got a lot to learn. A buddy of mine owns a '67 GTO and recommended I join your forum. I'm looking forward to learning what I need to know as I go down this road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the site Jeff.

Did you meant to be an Impala rookie or a rookie when it comes to mechanical/electrical/body aspects of the car? I have 1970 which is my daily driver so here are few pointers:

1. Pick a car that's already a decent daily driver. Do not go into project cars as you will not be driving it for next few years. It is always cheaper to buy restored car than restore it yourself.

2. Consider upgrading your car with three-point seat belts if you are going to turn it into a daily driver. It ain't going to be stock looking but safety first.

3. I would also upgrade to power disc brakes in the front. It was a big improvement over the manual drums I had previously.

4. Unless your car is frame-off restoration, be prepared to maintain it. Car will have no warranty and there is always something to do around it.

5. Have fun! You are going to love the attention your car will get.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Rookie Status

Hey, thanks for the info Alex.

I'm a rookie when it comes to a classic Impala, and only so so when it comes to mechanical. I have a guy around the corner that I trust completely with my cars, so it sounds like unless I'm going to buy frame-off, I'm going to get to know him even better.

I don't mind spending the money to maintain it. If I'm having someone else do the majority of the work, how much would you guess I might spend yearly for maintenance?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Welcome to the Team Jeff!

At least you have a heads up in finding a potentially rust free car. But If you do not find one locally do not be afraid to look in southern Nevada or in New Mexico or even SoCal. You want one from a dry climate that doesn't salt the roads.

Do not worry about the motor or tranny in the car or worry if they are gone (I'd consider that a blessing). The body is all important. Straight panels are nice but they are easier to patch up and rework with hammer and dolly and an English wheel than it is to find patch panels to replace what has rusted away.

More doors need love too, though everyone wants a two door.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Dave - and the advice. That's exactly the kind of help I need
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dave is right. Take time to find the car. I spent 7 months looking and you can browse thru the endless questions I have asked here on the forum.

My car is pretty much all original so every year I just do some maintenance on it. Nothing really broke in the car yet but I am just replacing parts like suspension, disc conversion in the front, added brake booster, replaced somewhat slowly leaking radiator with aluminum one, upgraded seat belts, etc. Parts are fairly cheap (comparing to my wife's Volvo) and if you have good mechanic, start building the relationship. I get some discounts at my mechanic, can bring my own parts, etc. Just because I only service my cars with him. Smaller stuff I can do myself (weatherstripping, carpet replacement, etc).

As to the maintenance cost, it is hard to tell. Like I said, nothing really broke on my car so all the work I did was preventive maintenance. I guess I could still drive it the way I bought it but the weather stripping was shot, carpet was stained, seat ripped so I have decided to replace those parts. That may not be the case with your car.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Welcome and good luck on the search! Nothing like a classic impala!

OCD Customs
My Wheels
Classic Nation car pictures.

1965 Impala SS
6.2L LSX with 4L80E, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes, Air Ride
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Welcome Jeff!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Welcome! Both very nice years and you can always get your money back if you change your mind later. I agree with the previous comments, get what you want and have fun with it!

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page