1966 Caprice comes home - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

1966 Caprice comes home

Just a quick hello to everyone as I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time on here over the winter. I've been lurking the past few weeks looking for a good '60s Caprice/Impala forum and I think I've found a good home.

So, project details! I just brought home the first car I ever owned, a 1966 Caprice 2-door hardtop. Paid $600 in 1983. The guy I bought it from ran out of time/money and the wife had told him it was time to sell. The car had a 283 in it, but he had a nice 327 all prepped and ready to rebuild with all the parts sitting there. I brought it home, built the motor with my dad and it was my car through my senior year. I ended up busting a piston ring and it got parked when I picked up a cherry '67 Chevelle and got into my Chevelle phase. I was quite a gearhead into my early 20's, but then other things took precedence and I got out of the hot-rod phase.

So for 26+ years it's been stored in a family friend's barn, wrapped in plastic and up on blocks out of the elements. I've been meaning to get back to it for years, but all you married guys know how it goes, wife/kids/life gets in the way. But about a month ago I got a call that the family friend was selling the property and I needed to get the car. So after some scrambling and planning, the car is now sitting on a trailer outside of my garage, with the block, crank and heads at the machine shop for a cleaning/prep/machining. Looks like I'm going to have a winter project!

I've got some big plans but right now just getting my head back into the game, getting caught back up on the latest. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as the project progresses. One thing thats different than the '80s is the ease of finding info. In 30 minutes I had all the info I needed on the motor based on casting #'s for the block/crank/heads. I love the internet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Welcome to the Team Jeff!

On their internet everyone has a 500 hp car and are experts in what ever they are talking about I have observed. Every one's advise (including mine) should be taken with a grain of salt. I freely admit that I make misdtakes but anything that I type is indexed and cataloged and preserved for posterity by Google and those who copy them so that even my mistakes become Gospel over time.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
On their internet everyone has a 500 hp car and are experts in what ever they are talking about I have observed. Every one's advise (including mine) should be taken with a grain of salt.
Hehe, ain't that the truth! =) I'm a technology consultant (networks & security) and practically live on the internet for my work, and learned long ago to take it all with a grain of salt.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Welcome Jeff,
One thing I will advise is to let loose with your digital camera. I took lots of photos prior to and during my restoration it has helped immensly. Even if you are not going to restore it now you should document what you have. This part is waayy easier than it was for us 25 years ago. I only have a few pictures of my car back then but I have hundreds (actually thousands) of them today.

Also we like to see you car so post a few pictures for us here!!

I have some nice picture of my cousins '66 on my share site that you might enjoy.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Welcome Jeff,
One thing I will advise is to let loose with your digital camera. I took lots of photos prior to and during my restoration it has helped immensly.
I plan to document everything on this build. I was also trying to dig up some old pics from my senior year, but I can't seem to find them so far. We just moved a few months ago so I still have a lot of boxes in the garage to go through. I'll get some better pics soon but here's a few from this weekend's trailer move.

BTW, I have all the parts including bumpers and trim that are missing in these pics. Plus an extra set of doors w/power windows, extra rear bumper, and a few other odds and ends.

It looks worse than it is. The red primer was sprayed in the early '90s to keep the surface rust down, and there is no rust at all. Also pretty much straight except for a very small crease back towards the right read panel by the bumper. Very little bodywork to be done, with one exception. Some stupid kid thought it would be cool to install a sunroof, so I have to get that fixed. Man I wish I could transport back in time to kick my 17 year old self in the *** for that little "mod". Ahh, the stupidity of youth...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap66_002.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2136   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap66_001.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2137   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap66_003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2138   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap66_005.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2139  

Last edited by MadJeff; 10-20-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added pics
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 AM
BA.

congrats man, that's gotta feel great. Body looks decent too!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page