64' SS, daily driver all summer - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

64' SS, daily driver all summer

Just joined the site, I picked up a real jem by Alaskan standards, 64' SS, the mild 327, has an edelbrock performer intake and carb, 4 speed Muncie trans, with the wicked close ratio, no major damage and nothing missing save for the driver door trim and mirror. Picked it up on the 4th of July and used it as my daily driver.
So far I hammered flat valve cover flanges and replaced gaskets, replaced right rear brake line, replaced three of four headlights and a half dozen various other bulbs, replaced brake light switch, cleaned and adjusted turn signal switch, replace water pump, replaced alternator and battery.
The season is changing here and soon Ice, snow and slush will be the majority of the road surface. I plan on knocking the dust off of her once a week or so, between upgrades and repairs. I'm a believer that a car dosnt need to occupy the same 150 square feet for months or years, I'm all about WHEEL TIME, isn't that what all the hard work is about anyway?
So first on the list for this winter is springs and shocks, I'll be asking about ride height and how to get at highrider no rake look. Thanks in advance for anyone that replies to my posts, time is valuable and I appreciate anyone that takes time out of there day to help/encourage another.

64' impala SS, 327, 4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 AM

Welcome to the Team Mike!

Must be thought to keep a car that old running in the winter with it's V-belts and external carb heat for choke. I was under the impression most norther climate car owners used beaters (mid eighties to nineties cars) to drive during the winter since they are basically bumper cars when driving in snow and ice.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
BA.

Welcome to the site...... wow....Alaska - I don't know if we have anyone else from Alaska! (not regular posters anyway)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave and BA. Yes winter is rough around here and it's hard on old tech but they made due back in the day. My impala will not be the daily driver all winter, but I will roll her out just for a little excersize.
I've got a manual choke for cold start, 195 degree thermostat and block about two thirds of the radiator cores.
Common misconception of Alaska winters, most of the northern states of the continental US have harsher winters than the southern edge of Alaska. Now you go a few hundred miles north and the climate gets pretty bad. But around here it's a lot like chicago, Detroit, minneapolis, milwaukee...just longer, darker, and wetter.
Also, some people do drive beaters with heaters, but the majority drive the newest biggest and baddest trucks and SUVs they can afford! Including me, my other ride is a 02' dodge ram V10 2500 SLT 4X4!

64' impala SS, 327, 4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page