New to Forums- '63 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

New to Forums- '63 Impala

I'm new to classic Impalas, as well as this site. (typically a Vintage Bronco guy)
I found this baby on CL- thought it was a scam because the lady spelled Chevy wrong (Cheve), was asking $700 for a complete car, and couldn't tell me much about it via email. But she had a local number, so we chatted, I went and looked at it. Apparently I was the first person to take the time to listen to her story and go look at the car. I guess she liked me, because she said "just give me two or three hundred for it- I want you to have it." I looked at her and said "I'm pretty sure you could get more for it- are you sure?" She was insistent, so we met at the DMV, did paperwork, and I went out and had it towed home last Friday.

It's a '63 4-Door Hardtop. 283, Powerglide. 79K original miles.
Engine and trans intact. It has been sitting for 5 years. I replaced the battery, and she started right up. There was zero trans fluid in it. Filled it and took it around the block. (She had taken it to Midas for "the works" to include a trans flush, and she said after that it never ran right after that. I'm wondering if they forgot to tighten or fill correctly?)

Anyway, just introducing myself- glad for all the resources and help I'm sure I'll be making use of in the coming months.

Thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(26).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2164  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Welcome to the Team Jon!

Sounds like you are a new Bow Tie man.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself stealing a car from a 'little old lady'. Only kidding I'm assuming she was little and old. It wasn't a one owner was it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal. What are your plans?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself stealing a car from a 'little old lady'. Only kidding I'm assuming she was little and old. It wasn't a one owner was it?
She wasn't "old" but she was little...
The story goes- the lady I bought it from was the 2nd owner. Her husband bought it in the late 90's from the original owner's grandson. (Grandson had hidden the keys from Gramma, because she had developed quite a reputation- as in "look out, Grannie's on the road today!!)

So the 2nd owner drove it as their primary trans up until he passed away a number of years ago. Since then, it has alternated between sitting and being a driver.

As far as I know, everything matches (engine/trans/VIN) from original.

So... I scored, right?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
Wow, sounds like you got a great deal. What are your plans?
That's what I need you guys for.
I'm not a "body off resto" guy, but I'd like to bring it back to life.
Mechanical first. (Fuel tank needs drained/cleaned/sealed)
Then interior
Then body/paint

Unless anyone has any better suggestions.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 AM

I would just replace the tank with a new one as well as a new sending unit in the the tank. They sell tanks for around $150 in clad mild steel. Stainless tanks cost a lot more but are actually required due to todays gas-o-hol fuel being acidic.

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I would just replace the tank with a new one as well as a new sending unit in the the tank. They sell tanks for around $150 in clad mild steel. Stainless tanks cost a lot more but are actually required due to todays gas-o-hol fuel being acidic.

Big Dave
I had the same thought- suggested source?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Stainles tank:

http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/com...ction&key=7760

Also get the rubber hose that connects the tank neck to the filler tube. These rot and leak.

If you need ideas on what might need to be done, you can look at my "frame on" restoration http://www.thecairns.com/Impala/ I am guessing your car is in about the same shape as mine was.

Things I learned:

First, sit down and think about what your goal is for the car. Driver or show car? All original or resto-rod? Once you have that in mind, start researching here and on other forums about how others have done the same. Keep in mind, it will take longer and cost more than you think You will also find your aspirations rise as you go along.

To keep from getting bogged down, I tried to keep my car "rolling" as much as I could between major work. Getting to drive it around a bit reminded me what all the work and expense was about. The last thing you want to do is take the car apart, get discouraged and let it sit for a few years or decades, then try and come back and try to work on it again.

Use your original trim and sheet metal (or used originals from some other car) as much as possible. Repro stuff does not fit well and will cost you more in the long run.

Take lots of pictures as you go. If you are like most folks, you can take something apart and put it back together. But when the time in between stretches into months, the memory comes up lacking on some essential details.

Four Doors are under served in the parts market. Hang on to your old 4 door specific parts until you are sure you have a good replacement. You might find you are stuck with your old stuff.

There are a lot of small businesses out there that cater to the most obscure bits of these cars. Most are true treasures. I have run across a guy that specializes in rebuilding horns, and another that specializes in rebuilding hood hinges. It may sound strange, but nothing beats the original parts when they are brought back up to spec.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

@dcairns-
Thanks for the info- I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the finished product! Quite a beauty.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Looks like you got a decent car! Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page