Newbie looking at 65 SS 396 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Newbie looking at 65 SS 396

Hello everyone,

I'm am currently deployed to Iraq and have been trying to find a classic car to restore. I found a 65 impala SS 396 "numbers matching" for $8500 and just going off the pics it looks like a great project! I am very new to car restoration, and would like some helpful hints as what to look for and if the price is average or too high. I will try to pull pics from the sight to post. Of the pictures shown it looks to have a good body needing just minor work, has original # match engine and trans interior will need some work. Now upon inquiry the sales rep told me it has been stored for the past ten years. He stated everything is intact and should be ready to run, after the usual fuel sys flush fluids check etc. Now if the body and frame are low rust and the engine is original and appears to be runnable after inspection is 8500 a good price. Oh and it's been in central Texas it's whole life. Please give me any info or questions you can, thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Question Ad listing and pic

Here is the info listing on site:

Original Numbers Matching 396-4V, Automatic, 12bolt rearend, Factory Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Factory Bucket Seats, Factory Console, Rally Wheels, Originally White Exterior w/ Black Interior, Overall Solid Car, Needs Restoration, In Storage for 10 years, Good Texas Title
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65ImpSS396LF2.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2211  

Last edited by Srod79; 12-06-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added pic
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Sam

PM sent.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Bruce, great info
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Welcome to the Team Sam!

I will let those with more knowledgable in the value of these cars advise you.

Big Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Sam, Do some math before you buy the car. It definitely sounds like the right car to do, with the 396 and option list, but: $8500 sounds way high to me as a starting point. You didn't say how far you want to go with a restoration but here is an example. I started with a $2500 car and did a body off restoration and I'm well over $20,000 with still a few things that could be done. If you factor paint and material, labor if you're not doing it yourself, body and rust repair, mechanical rebuilding, drivetrain, suspension, electrical, brakes, etc. Then price interior and the trim you need. I guarantee your estimate will be low but it will give you an idea, maybe shocking, where you'll be when you're done. If you start rebuilding engine, trans, rear end, etc, your cost will skyrocket. All I'm saying is don't go in blind. Once you start fixing things, the tendency is to not leave anything alone because it looks so bad next to the new stuff. Before you know it, you're going all the way to a full blown restoration.

Again, a 396 SS with factory air is a great starting point. Good luck!!
And as an old Vietnam Vet, "Thank you for serving our country!"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Sam welcome to the site. $8500 seems high for a '65 hardtop. Yes the SS, factory air and matching numbers add value but price still seems a little high. Has any restoration been done by owner (frame, rust, mechanical, electrical)? If not, $8500 is definitely too high. If work has been done, make sure you inspect it, as all work is not good work... Based on the single picture, I'd say $4500-$6500 is good starting point. That's if everything is functional. Good luck!

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM

If you are going to start fresh and restore a car, buy a convertible. Everything equal (engine/options/etc), the ragtop will be worth more when you are done (for the same investment.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Welcome Sam, Just to give a comparision of sorts I purchased my 68 convertable for $800 --running and drivable--, I drove this car as is for 2 years before I started a resto. Even with the offset of the years and a big block, I'm with the other price seems high, I'd go south of $4000 with that "original" combo. Remember the 65' was the 2nd highest production year for the Impala exceeded by the 64', so they are plenty out there to make as you want (engine/trans. upgrades; disc brakes). Just a thought you can pick up a 65' less engine and trans. for say a grand and purchase a new/gauranteed 454 and a 4 spd auto for around the same price as his asking price PLUS you'll have the warrantee.
Just remember you'll never get you money back out if it if you sell so it will have to be part an enjoyable hobbie along with an investment. The dollars will accumulate as fast as the gas will run out of that big block .
No matter how it's advertised you will find out what was'nt mention, get an inspector you feel comfortable with and go from there. Good luck on your decision and most of all have fun with it. And as allways thank you guys for your service in protecting the USA!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

@glen-Thought About it but this being my 1st resto I'm not gonna go with with a frame off, and if it is #'s match I'll keep the same engine with only minor upgrades. I basically want a weekend driver I can take to shows and will help me get my foot in the door so to speak as a restorer. I've started minor jobs with buddies on newer rides but never enjoyed them as much as the classics. Not a big muscle car guy you know chevelles camaros, they're fun but I'd rather work on an impala. Definitely wanna build up my knowledge a bit before I get a serious full frame off resto
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

@John-I have searched quite a bit( as much as you can do Internet only) and I don't know if it's just central Texas but a lot of 64-65s run high anything 4000 or less is usually rusted has no engine, trans or title. If it runs it's guaranteed to be at least 8000 or more. It'll be easier to get an idea once I can physically see it in person. My biggest fear is the motor wont run and it'll add another 1-2000 just to get it running.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

@Jason-great idea but never liked convertibles, the only ones I've had interest in were the 55-57 Bel Airs they look great as convertibles
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM

way high

whew they're proud of that 65. that's a lotta work lookin you in the face, lol good luck
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

Offer $3000 and go no higher. There were close to 250,000 65 SS build. Not a rare care at all. Just my 2 pennies.

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1965, 396, newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page