New member with new project - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

New member with new project

Hey guys, I picked up one of my dream cars today. I got a 1960 Biscayne (hopefully you Impala guys will accept my lowly Biscayne) project car. It's pretty nice, there is some rust although not much the big down side is the previous owner cut the floors out of it to make it a drag car. Luckly he wasn't a hack so the cut areas are nice and it's very fixable. The other issue is he hacked the frame up so I need to replace it. Does anyone know if the frame from a 62 will interchange? I got a 62 parts car with this car so I'd like to use the frame from that if possible.
Anyway I'll be around searching the forum and asking stupid questions like where is the best place to buy floor pans or patch panels.

Here is a picture the only one I have right now I was to excited after I got it home to take more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Welcome Steve, Great project with alot of potential with your "Gen 1" Impala/Biscayne. Don't worry we like 4 tail lights the same as 6 .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the Team Steve!

Frame is the same and interchanges. If the other car has good floor pans and is also a two door sedan the floors will also interchange. Pretty sure the hard top and the four door sedan use a different floor pan, but not positive.

I am assuming he back halved the car installing either a four link rear suspension or a set of ladder bars under the car. I also imagine that you have lost the stock rear end as it wouldn't hold up to the rigors of drag racing for more than a pass or two. So I am also guessing that you now have a Ford nine inch rear end under the car as that is what most people choose, because most people choose it, not because it is a good rear end to have.

We would need to see detailed pictures of the rear suspension before you attempt a restore to be able to offer an informed opinion on how to proceed. It will also help us identify the parts you have installed and offer advise as to their possible value as wompum for trade for parts you want.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Steve!

Frame is the same and interchanges. If the other car has good floor pans and is also a two door sedan the floors will also interchange. Pretty sure the hard top and the four door sedan use a different floor pan, but not positive.

I am assuming he back halved the car installing either a four link rear suspension or a set of ladder bars under the car. I also imagine that you have lost the stock rear end as it wouldn't hold up to the rigors of drag racing for more than a pass or two. So I am also guessing that you now have a Ford nine inch rear end under the car as that is what most people choose, because most people choose it, not because it is a good rear end to have.

We would need to see detailed pictures of the rear suspension before you attempt a restore to be able to offer an informed opinion on how to proceed. It will also help us identify the parts you have installed and offer advise as to their possible value as wompum for trade for parts you want.

Big Dave

Are you the same Big Dave from the Team Nova site? I remember you. I used to have a white 66 Chevy II 4 door and was on that site alot.
Thanks for the info on the frame that makes me feel better, this frame was cut off at the fire wall and a truck...yes truck frame was put in there it even has a 6 bolt rear end. I'll get some better pics of everything tomorrow I spent the rest of today getting my other car together so I could get this car in the shop and get to working on it.
The floors in the parts car are toast and there is one bad spot on the front of the frame but that part is good on my frame so I'll be in good shape on the frame I'll just need to attack the floors from there.

I'll be adding pics and info on the car shortly so hopefully you guys can help lead me in the right direction. It's not my first rebuild but I do like to ask alot of questions and get direction. I'd rather do things right the first time than redo them because I was to dumb to ask.

Steve
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Yup that is me. I'm a mod here and on Team Nova (and on Smoke'em Up a drag racing board). Only dumb question is one that wasn't asked. A six bolt implies the rear end was out of a pre '65 pick-up truck. I don't know if they used the BOP rear end in trucks or the Chevy rear end. I would have to research that. If it is a BOP it is worth keeping as that is an incredibly strong rear end compared to the Chevy part (9.3 inch ring gear instead of the Chevy's 8.2 inch and it has 31 spline axles instead of the 28 splinde under cut axles used in the Chevy).

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM

Pickup trucks had 6 lugs through the '70 model year. 2wd's got 5 lugs after that, but the 4x4's continued on with 6 lugs. 4x4's also had leaf springs, while the 2wd's usually had rear coils.

The half ton pickup rear axle was the truck version of the 12 bolt. Not sure when that started, but my dad's '66 C10 has one. The 12 bolt was used until the early '80s when it was replaced with the 8.5 10 bolt rear axle.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I got the parts car home today, it's a 62 Impala and it seems to have some decent parts left of it as well so there should be something left for someone with a 62 when I'm done with it.
I'm trying to get my other car finished up so I can get these in the shop and get to work on them.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page