New Kid on the block - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

New Kid on the block

Hey all, my name is John.

I just got myself a 67 Impala SS for 2500, i am pretty excited about it even if I am getting flak from friends and family right now I know that someday it will be the envy of all them.

Here is the beast

Now then, things I have noticed and I should prolly fix fast:
-19 inch tires seem a little big, i hear grinding and rubbing. Its got air ride but the front is not wanting to rise all the way up. I believe that either smaller tires or wheel block due to them bowing in. On top of that it really needs an alignment

-Engine stalling, i think its just the carborator needs adjustment. It will rev up fine most of the time and if i do it before I drive it seems to be fine. So if left idle too long it may stall if i press on the pedal hard.

-Gauges, have not really been able to pay a lot of attention to them but they seem to not work. New wiring? Needle on the gear selector looks off as well.

Other info
-Engine runs great when it doesnt stall.
-Cosmetically it has very little rust and the interior is not all that bad off. Seats are bad and foam is ok but the vinyl is royally messed up but amazingly the top of the dash is great. No cracks in any of the glass. Door handles and keyholes shaved off for the remote door popper.
-Speakers were removed for the compressor to use air ride. Radio is gone as well, bummer.
-All the lights work
-Carb was rebuilt.

Specs
- 327 small block
- 350 turbo trans shifts good
- 19 inch wheels with air ride front and back.

Anyhow any comments, questions, opinions and help will be greatly appreciated. I am new to all this restoration business. I hope I picked a fairly gentle car to start with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM

Welcome to the Team John!

If you do not know what you are doing no amount of turning the idle adjustment screws or the idle adjustment will make the carb work any better. It sounds like you have either an aftermarket cam or a carb that is too big for your motor.

If you can see the wheels move then it is probably way out of alignment since your eyeball can not see the two to three degrees that the wheel is moved to align the front end if it were stock and knocked out of alignment by wear or a big pot hole. With an air bag lift kit and semi truck wheels I don't know what to tell you about alignment other than good luck.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Big Dave, its good to be here!

I am juggling a few things to he alleviate the stalling issue, 1) adjust the idle 2) get a bigger air filter so the motor can breathe more 3) drive it better.

When my buddy goes for a ride in it he can do it without stalling it I think i still might be a little aggressive on the pedal since I am not use to how stiff it is. I drove it around a little today on base probably about mile or so trying to ease the motor back into getting used. I am not sure when its last daily use was.

Also decided that going with smaller tires would probably be a good choice, where the 19s will work if the air ride is raised all the way in the front and about half or so in the back, smaller tires will be more desirable to me in the future so might as well hit that now. Looking at some white letter tires!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds like a fun project. Can you post another pic so we can see it? Good luck!

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM
BA.

welcome to the site.

it sure sounds like that carburetor needs some adjusting or "going through", despite it having been rebuilt. They can be finicky, and it can take some trial an error to make it 'right' based upon other engine mods that have been made. Carbs are relatively simple, but experience in tuning them pays big dividends. I hope you know someone!

I'm a bit biased on the wheels. I can see the goals of where the car was headed, and it's not necessarily a bad thing - but I don't think 19's on the front is a good idea. I'd say 18 is the biggest I'd ever go.
Ideally, you could sell those 4 rims to offset the cost of something more fitting.

On the shifter, I was curious if you *actually* had a 3-speed position indicator, and a 3 speed transmission. If your car was upgraded from an old 2-speed Powerglide and they didn't update the visual indicator, that might be what's going on. Just guessing.
If it's a 3 speed indicator (1,2,D,N,R,P) and an actual 3 spd TH350, then some simple adjustment of the cable can be done with an open end hand wrench.

Good luck with it, I've always like the crisp lines of the 67!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 AM

......also check the fuel filter. You might have a dirty gas tank.

Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page