New guy with BIG problem - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

New guy with BIG problem

Hey, I'm new to the site. I have a 69 Impala sedan. It's my daily driver and for the past 2 weeks I've been cleaning it up a little when I ran into a big problem. I installed a new GT Grant steering wheel and now I have NO POWER to anything!!! No headlights or nothing. The battery is good, I've checked the connections and changed all the fuses under the dash, still I get nothing. I need this car to get to work. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Welcome to the site. I can't help you but wonder if you put the old SW back on does everything power back up? Anyway someone will be able to help I am sure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM

Welcome to the Team Jeremy!

You probably blew the fusible link in the car's power supply to the fuse bus. The fusible link is the main fuse for the car. You can buy a replacement from your corner auto parts store in many different amperage ratings. Your amperage rating has to add up to all of the fuses in the fuse box.

The fusible link ends with a plastic bead in the main wire that provides power from the positive battery terminal and is about 18 inches or so long with very thick insulation that feels different (the wire is thiner in gage but stiffer than the main copper wire in the PCV insulated red wire). If it is blown the insulation on the fusible link will be bubbled up with a few holes burnt through were the sacred smoke got out. It will appear to be broken at some point and easily bends at the point it burnt.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. If I read that right the link should be coming out the fuse box on the other side of the firewall? Is the part I need to buy going to be the stiff wire?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, I went ahead and bought some 14 gauge wire and an inline fuse. Ran from battery to fuse box and SHE'S ALIVE!! got a wire loose on the starter though, hot light cones on while trying to crank. Thanks for the help! I'll post some pics this weekend, I've changed the carpet, weather-stripping, radiator, headliner, power steering pressure hose, radio, and speakers all in the last two weeks!! No trouble till I try to add a steering wheel? Go figure. She's got pretty fresh paint and the original 350 block rebuilt with a street cam, glass packs, headers, and an Edelbrock performer intake. Still running the quadrajet 4bbl. That will go soon hopefully.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM

Jeremy: well done on the repair! There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and I'm glad the guys who know more than me (that is, everyone else on the forum) were able to help you get going.

There are a few upcoming shows and cruise-in events in the Atlanta area. Hopefully you will be able to bring out your car to one or two. They are:

Saturday March 3: Sage Hill Car Show, 10AM to 2PM, Sage Hill Shopping Center, Briarcliff Road at Clifton Road (near Emory University).

Sunday March 4: Caffeine and Octane, 7AM to 11AM, Windward Parkway at Deerfield (west of 400), Alpharetta.

Sunday March 18: Horsepower Breakfast, 8AM to 11AM, Shorty Howell Park, 2750 Pleasant Hill Road, Duluth.

Saturday March 31: Georgia Tech Auto Show, 10AM to 4PM, Georgia Tech Campus, Atlanta.

Also you might consider joining up with one of the local Chevrolet club chapters, who meet every month and who also have members with a lot of collective knowledge and experience.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I'll definitely try to make one of the Sunday shows. I work Mon. thru Sat. so the Saturday shows would be impossible lol. Duluth sounds good. I used to live up there so I know where that's at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page