66 Impala 327 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

66 Impala 327

New guy on the block. Been lurking for awhile now. I've been seriously considering modifying our car(me and pops project car since 2000) to take it from its numbers matching state to change the 2 speed powerglide to a 200r4 stage 2 from bowtieoverdrives.

The change comes because I plan to drive her from Ga to Colorado and changing out the transmission would be pretty good for the 327. Now my questions are what additional items will I need to purchase to make this swap a success. Im currently deployed (Army) and my mother will be taking it to the shop to have the mechanics complete the work.

Im tracking i need
torque converter
new column shift indicator
crossmember moved to the rear
tv cable
tv mount for carb
is flex plate needed?

Am I missing anything?
Also Im around 275 which is roughly 200 HP less than the trans is made for. Will I experience any problems being underpowered for the new transmission? I wanted to leave some wiggle room just in case I decided to do some engine work.

I chose to go with the 200r4 over the 700r4 because from my research the 200 should just be a straight forward swap. I didn't want to cut my drivetrain.

My Boo Isabella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM

Verify the rear gear can support an over drive. You don't want a 2.56 final drive gear with an over drive unless you mind it taking four miles to get up to speed for your measured mile. With a 200R4 what ever you have is multiplied by 0.6666 and that will be what you have in OD.

Nice thing about OD is you can have a 3.55 or 3.73 (or a 4.11 or 4.56) gear and get all of the advantages of seat of the pants acceleration, without the penalty of a steep gear in terms of wear and what they were designed to do increase your mileage.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Bryant,
Your reson for changing your transimission seems a bit lacking. If you are really doing this because you need to drive it from Georgia to Colorado that seems insufficient to me. There were many (a good percentage of the over one million produced) 1966 full size cars with a 327 and a powerglide that drove much further than from Georgia to Colorado. There is no reason that a car with a good working 327 and a decent powerglide should not get you there just fine. It is probably less than 1500 miles.
I would worry about such things as cooling system, hoses, belts, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. before I would mess with the transmission unless you feel that it is acting up.

If you do decide to change your tranny for a newer non-stock unit would suggest you put a few thousand miles on the car before you venture off on that long of a trip to make sure you have the bugs worked out.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 PM

yep, I agree with Fossil Fuel...
really no reason to change to the OD tranny for that drive.
Recouping the theoretical fuel savings is going to take a longer time than that.

Now if you PG is on the way out... maybe
But as someone else pointed out, need to verify your rear ratio. if your gearing is too high and you go with O.D. your mileage will most likely be worse than it is now as well as being a dog off the line.

Good Luck in your decision.

Bob Knake
Havana, IL
1960 "More-Door"
  • 350 4Bbl
  • TH-350
  • Duals (Antennae & Exhaust)
  • Jamco 3" Lowering Springs & shocks
  • Griffin Aluminum Radiator

Future Plans:
Fender Skirts, & Lake Pipes (maybe)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...54525298?hl=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
200r4, 327, 66 impala

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page