Important Question for You Guys - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Important Question for You Guys

I am strongly considering buying a numbers matching 1965 SS 396. My question is that the car is all original. Drums front and rear,most engine parts,suspension parts ect original. Where do I start with replacing and upgrading the car for safety and to update the performance to get the most out of the cars potential? And please give me your view on a fair price for this car. Paint was redone. Paint and crome and interior look great. Car runs very well and has factory ac. Whats it worth. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM

For safety, I would start with the brakes. Either Original single master cyl, Upgrade to a duel mater cyl., or go for a disc brake conversion. Just make sure the brakes are safe. From the sound of what you describe, its a nice car that doesn't need restored. So the order I would go is Brakes, Suspension, Engine and trans.
As for price? With out some photos, around $20,000 + or - .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM

The Mecum auction just ended this weekend. You can check some of the Impala sales to get an idea of prices. I'm in the market for a '65 SS myself but haven't found one yet.

As far as safety goes, as mentioned, get rid of the single reservour master cylinder in favor of a dual master cylinder. If the brake lines are original you might want to replace them as well. I had a brake line failure on my '63 Impala back in 1969. With only the single cylinder I had zero brakes. Not fun.

I also think seat belts are a must have. Because the ball joints carry a lot of weight on these cars you might want to check them out as well. Lift the tire off the ground a few inches and pry upward with a pry bar. If you have a lot of play you might want to replace those as well. A badly worn ball joint can cause a wheel to come loose from the knuckle. Again, back in the day, a buddy of mine lost a wheel while bumping over a set of railroad tracks at low speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page