Hello My name is Chrissy - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Red face Hello My name is Chrissy

Yep, you guessed it I'm a female and I know very little about cars, except that I love them. I'm a huge fan of the classics. The engines are what I have trouble with I'm not to bad at distinguishing a make and model just by looking her body. But I'm not a pro. I'm currently looking for a baby girl that I can fix up myself. It's always been a dream of mine to own a car that I rebuilt. It's never to late to learn and it's never to late to achieve a life long dream. I'm hoping that I can learn a thing or two from all of you that are here in this forum. Thank ya'll and Maybe you'll be seeing me around the posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM
BA.

Welcome Chrissy. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here for you and your future car.

Do you have someone helping you find that special car, or do you know where you'll be looking for it? (and what you want to spend)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Welcome to the Team Chrissy!

I am going to assume since you chose this board you are interested in GM's most popular full sized car (the Chevy). After you figure out what trim level you desire, Biscayne, Impala, or Caprice you the have to pick your series of car. Tri fives (1955-57) or before that era as they even made a car with a bustle; or the very popular X-frame cars (1958-'64). Then there are the full perimeter frame cars from 1965-'70; or the really big full sized cars made from 1971-'76. GM then shrank the bloated Caprice and Impala after 1977 and kept the same body style from 1977-'90, before they went to the inverted bath tubs of the 1991-'96 which was the last year for the B series.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Welcome to the site. Any car in peticular you are after?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Having experience with fixing up old cars (not Impala yet), I would recommend that you buy the most car you can afford. These old cars suck up lots of time, patience, and not least of all money. I would not recommend buying a basket case or "project" car.

The forum members are very helpful and eager to share knowledge.

Welcome, good luck and have fun.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Welcome Chrissy!

It was the same for me, I wanted to rebuild at least 1 from the frame up and because I remember as a kid sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's 68' 4 door and seeing that he liked that car.... well you know what I had to rebuild.

Just remember to have fun with it and stay with your plan of what you ultimatly want to do with it, because it's real easy to go crazy with parts. Don't spend all your time with it because you'll get burned out BUT don't stay away from it too long because you'll loose intrest. Its a great hobby that keeps American iron on American roads! And the "thats cool" responses feels pretty good too!

A wealth of knowledge in here just for the asking so jump in!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. And yep, I'm a chevy girl. All I've ever owned where Chevys. I'm interested in a few different models. Impala, Chevelle, El Camino. The men in my family were always working on old cars and that's where my love for them came from. I'm really excited and I've found a couple of cars I'm interested in a '67 Impala fastback and a 1966 Chevelle not far from where I am. Hoping that I'll be able to get one of them soon before some one else scoops em up. Don't worry I will def be asking a ton of questions once I get my first car
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Welcome Chrissy,

Youve found a great place for feedback, insight and education for the Chevy. I know from experience that once you set your eyes on the car you want, no matter the condition its in, its your baby.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Welcome Chrissy!
I was born in Dale County hospital way back!
Most of my family tree was born in Ozark.
Got a few Chevies myself.
Take your time when buying-Don't get in a hurry!There's always another one.
Mike.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM

Welcome Chrissy!

I just jumped back in to the Impala family after a brief absence. I own a hotrod shop, so the stable is full of toys, like Dave's is. (Although he has some REALLY cool toys too.)

There's lots of knowledge on these sites, so ask away. Even if you end up with another Chevy, check out the sister sites to this one and you'll get the help you need.

Don't listen to me, what do I know? I've only been doing this for 30 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page