New guy from Sweden - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

New guy from Sweden

Hi,

As the title say I´m from Sweden (explains the typoes) and have been driving (and polishing) my -65 Impala for about two years now. Got it from sunny California through a car dealer here in Sweden. Maybe someone on the forum have more details about the car?

I´m making my second trip to the US in a week and would be glad if anyone could give me some info where I could get a hold of some parts for my ride when I´m over there I´m visiting New York, SF, LA and Chicago.

//Alexander

Last edited by Impala327; 05-10-2012 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Picture of the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the site. Nice car you have.

Let us know what type of parts you need: stock, performance, body parts?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I´m looking for just about everything really, anything from a new clock to an optional tachometer (stuff I can carry on the plane or ship back home without costing a fortune). A good store to wander around in and get a thinner wallet

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I do not know any stores in the cities you will be visiting but here are few online places:

http://www.impalaparts.com/
http://www.impalas.com/
http://www.classicindustries.com/impala/parts/

and the usual place where I get almost all the replacement parts:

http://www.rockauto.com/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Welcome Nice ride
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Welcome to the Team Alexander!

You can find just about anything your heart desires here, stateside, but as you stated it is difficult to stuff a parts car in the over head bin on the plane, and things like NOS or a 55 gallon drum of nitrous and big Roots style blower might not make it through the screener at the air side terminal.

Better option is to spend some quality time in SoCal and the environs close by such as Arizona and New Mexico looking at junk yards for parts you might want. (America is bigger than the maps make it out to be so it will take some time if you can afford).

With me when I have the time I don't have any cash, and when my pockets are full of cash I don't have time to spend it (I have a wife to help me out in that department).

Big Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Alex: Thx, I usually order stuff from lategreatchevy.com (ecklers), but I thought it would be nice to pick up some stuff when I´m visiting.

Per: Tack detsamma!

Big Dave: exactly, I do not think the security personnel will be so happy if I try to travel with that kind of stuff.

Unfortunately, we have a fairly tight schedule and a planned route. Therefore, I wondered if there was some good shops in the cities I will visit. Yeah it´s a big country for sure, but at the same time it is cheaper to travel by car in the States than here at home, we pay about $ 8 / gallon May I ask how much the gas costs in the States now?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 AM

Down to about $3.48 here (location has great affect on price due to changes in road tax that vary from state to state). That and availability, since most of the gas that is used in my state shows up by barge in Tampa's port and is trucked from here to other cities.

Most of the big speed shops and parts manufactures are centered in the mid-west and in southern California. Parts are then shipped from there around the country and the world. Los Angeles probably has more companies per square mile than any where else.

Big Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

OK, a buck higher than last time I was there then (2007). Still cheap if you compare it with our prices. Maybe should spend all my money on gas!?

That sounds great since we are heading for L.A in about a week and a half.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

As an option, you can order online and have the parts shipped to my home. I live in NJ about 2 miles south of George Washington Bridge so you can pick them up when you are in NYC and want to do some shopping in Malls on the Jersey side. It is something to consider as I know that there may be trust issues here.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
As an option, you can order online and have the parts shipped to my home. I live in NJ about 2 miles south of George Washington Bridge so you can pick them up when you are in NYC and want to do some shopping in Malls on the Jersey side. It is something to consider as I know that there may be trust issues here.
That´s kind of you! But I don´t really have something in particular I need at the moment, just thought it would be nice to visit some shops and pick up some stuff i find of interest.

When we´re on the subjekt of NY, is there something you can recommend we do or see that you normally don´t find in every touristguide?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

places to get parts for your chevy in U.S.

In the future I would plan your trip around the carlisle pa. events which take place from april through october in carlisle pa. which is 1.5 hours outside of washington d.c. by car for example. For your car carlisle has spring carlisle in april, gm nationals in june and fall carlisle as well in october 3-7. At this venue there is approximately 30 acres of parts, both new and used, hundreds of vendors, and a car corral. The event this past spring was so large it would have taken a few days to cover it all. It is in my opinion one of the best places for you to find parts for your car and have fun doing it, plus there is shipping services on site. There are people from all over the world that attend this event and I would really suggest you go if you get a chance. Check out their website on line...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Okey so now we´ve done NY, heading for SF in the morning. I saw ONE classic chevy this weekend, a -56 Bel Air. Not so many classic chevys in Manhattan I guess

(Saw a couple of impalas, but they where all NYPD and to new for my taste )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page