"Minnesota noob." - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

"Minnesota noob."

Hello, Everyone,

My name is Erik, and I am a classic Impala fan.

My father had a '62 when I was a kid. It originally belonged to my Grandfather and Dad purchased it when he began his teaching career. It was supposed to be my car when I started driving, but unfortunately our wonderful Minnesota winters took their toll on it and Dad sold it before that could happen. The car spent it's last few years on a farm, utilized for hunting vermin, until it finally quit running. It was stripped of salvagable parts and what couldn't be used... was crushed.

Our '62 was a base model, four-door sedan ("post car"). It had an inline-six engine and a three-speed maunual transmission. It was painted Twilight Turquoise (although my father always called it "Robbin-Egg Blue") with a matching interior, which is why it was known as "Old Blue." It was a great car, and will remain the most favorite car my family has ever owned.

So, for the past 23 years, or thereabouts, I've wanted to buy another Impala, except that I've been warped by The Beach Boys, and have been saving pennies and dimes (and a couple nickles, quarters and the occasional dollar bill...) to build my own four-speed, dual-quad, posi-traction 409-powered '62 Impala.

So, that's why I signed up for the forum. Not only to pick the brains of the various "gurus" here as to how to build my "dream car," but also to talk about Impalas in general. I'm glad to be here, and look forward to talking with you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Welcome to the Team Eric!

Sounds like you have a plan to make some beautiful music.

You can build a new 409 with a World cast block and Edelbrock's heads and twin carb manifold. They even sell new AVS Carter carbs with their name on them and matching valve covers that used to cost $2,500 for a set of original 1962 vintage ones sold by Vic Jr's dad. Drop in a 454 crank and a set of Speed pro pistons and your 409 is displacing 481 cubes and making more than 600 horsepower on today's pump gas.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Erik
Welcome
You should go to the Back to the 50's car show June 22,23,24, 2012 at the Minnesota state fairgrounds there will be 11,000 cars . Great place see cars you like.

http://www.msra.com/Minnesota%20Stre...ssociation.htm

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Welcome

Welcome to the site 62 impala are nice looking cars hope you live your dream would love a 409 62 impala but still love my 66 SS impala.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted. Amazing what happens when life intervenes...

Anyway...

I want to thank you guys for your responses. Big Dave, that does, indeed sound quite beautiful, and Pacey, the '66 wasn't a slouch in the looks department either (I'm just kind of biased in my love of the '62!) Oh and, Mr1963Convert, I happen to be a card-carrying member of the Minnesota Street Rod Association and I attend "Back to the Fifties" just about every year (planning on being there this year! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page