POS 1965 owner - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

POS 1965 owner

Hello, I am new to the site..kind of...been lurking for a while. I got a 65 off of CL for a fairly good price. Std Impala, with a "327 out of 1972 impala". Since it was the ultra rare 72 327 I had to have it...

Of course its a 64-67 327 with the Camelback heads (could be stock, not sure). She also has the 3/4 Cam in 'er. It turns out a 3/4 cam was mistaken for being out of time, bad wires and several vacuum leaks. More exhaust leaks out of the headers than makes it out the tailpipes so she sounds like...an olds SBC with a lot of exhaust leaks. The interior is weak, electrical is a mess and it smells. It also leaks everything...except oil??? strange.

Despite all this, shes a decent old sled with a good frame, decent sheetmetal and fairly good driver chrome and glass all stuffed in the trunk. Trans is good, got a 12 bolt, and suspension is a 7 out of 10.

I have one really crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2509  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Welcome to the Team Sam!

Camel humps were standard heads on many 327 motors back in the day. There are six different itterations of the fuelie head from their first apearance to last gasp. Even the best flowing fuelie head made is poor in comparison to the heads used by Chevy on the last small block motor made used on pick-up trucks from 1996-'01 called Vortec heads.

Big Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
BA.

sounds like a driveable fixer-upper. Congrats!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM

Welcome, We're going to need a better picture.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Welcome, We're going to need a better picture.
I have better pics, I moved it out of the garage to get a couple better ones.

Ive got her running much better now, Ive also got some AR Torq Thrust M 17" wheels and new rubber on order and looking at getting the body fixed up. So far it has been fun working on this after work, beats watching the crap on TV.

Plan is to get the body/interior driver quality and move up to 6.0 LY6 motor next year. The old 327 has fairly decent hp but it wont beat the wifes Sonata in a race. Not happy about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2512   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2513  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 AM

Looks like you have a very solid 65 Impala with a lot of potential. It doesn't mater if the wife can beat you in her overseas hotrod,you'll still look better in your vintage GM iron.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks like a real good 65. Have fun in making it the way you want it. I like what Larry said . Live long vintage GM iron.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM

What was the factory color? Looks to be in pretty good shape from what I can see. It what you can not see that you have to worry about though!

Big Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Looks like a great project! I also have to say, I really liked your introduction too

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What was the factory color? Looks to be in pretty good shape from what I can see. It what you can not see that you have to worry about though!

Big Dave
She was that blueish/torquoise color I believe. The car had a lot of red and gray primer on the car before and most of the car was sanded down when I bought it with very little paint so its hard to tell, i suppose I could de-code it... The previous owner patched in a couple panels in the floor and rockers and the drivers fender is replaced. I could actually get a good look at all the metal and frame so I am happy with it. I rattled canned it flat black for now because there was a lot of exposed metal. I want to get it running and driving good before I tackle the body. The frame is very nice and I grinded that down and undercoated it already.

On a side note, it has been funny buying parts from the local Napa, O'reilly et al and talking to the parts guys again. But nowadays its different, sample comments/questions:

Me: "Its a 65 impala, 327, air, powerglide..."
Kid at NAPA: " is that a V6?'

Me: " Need fuel pump 327..."
Other kid at NAPA: "Did that come with an electric pump?"

Me: "Need a tranny pan gasket for a TH350" (Powerglide was replaced)
O'reilly Guy: "Hmmm, what is that? what kind of car? Hmmm, is that an Auto? Hmmm, we are going to have to order that in"
Me: "you're kidding right? that is probably the most popular tranny in the history of mankind"

In the early 90's when I had another 65 the parts guy's were still able to go grab any SBC part from the shelf with out looking the part up on the computer. Times have changed since last go around.

I will admit that when i needed an EGR valve for the wifes Acura they were all over that.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandomn View Post
She was that blueish/torquoise color I believe. The car had a lot of red and gray primer on the car before and most of the car was sanded down when I bought it with very little paint so its hard to tell, i suppose I could de-code it... The previous owner patched in a couple panels in the floor and rockers and the drivers fender is replaced. I could actually get a good look at all the metal and frame so I am happy with it. I rattled canned it flat black for now because there was a lot of exposed metal. I want to get it running and driving good before I tackle the body. The frame is very nice and I grinded that down and undercoated it already.

On a side note, it has been funny buying parts from the local Napa, O'reilly et al and talking to the parts guys again. But nowadays its different, sample comments/questions:

Me: "Its a 65 impala, 327, air, powerglide..."
Kid at NAPA: " is that a V6?'

Me: " Need fuel pump 327..."
Other kid at NAPA: "Did that come with an electric pump?"

Me: "Need a tranny pan gasket for a TH350" (Powerglide was replaced)
O'reilly Guy: "Hmmm, what is that? what kind of car? Hmmm, is that an Auto? Hmmm, we are going to have to order that in"
Me: "you're kidding right? that is probably the most popular tranny in the history of mankind"

In the early 90's when I had another 65 the parts guy's were still able to go grab any SBC part from the shelf with out looking the part up on the computer. Times have changed since last go around.

I will admit that when i needed an EGR valve for the wifes Acura they were all over that.

I know exactly what you mean. There were two different occasions when I went into part stores needing a floor dimmer switch and a 2-line fuel pump for my '62, it was like pulling teeth. The guys working on the parts counters these days are just trained to answer the questions in the computer and walk over to the shelf. No thinking involved.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM

I tried getting longer front wheel studs for the 65 with 69 disc brakes with corvette rotors on it. That one took a couple of days. LOL
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I tried getting longer front wheel studs for the 65 with 69 disc brakes with corvette rotors on it. That one took a couple of days. LOL
I can see that, kind of an unusual request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page