New Guy to Impala forum - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

New Guy to Impala forum

Live in Delaware working on a 1962 Impala and of having problems.

How to phase x frame driveshaft an d 200r4 problems

Last edited by Rodder 2; 06-02-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: need Big Daves help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Big Dave Are you available to conference
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM

The two piece drive shaft should cancel out any phase angle issues created by the universal joints difference in radial velocity. If you are talking about balance that is another issue entirely.

Any time you disassemble anything that rotates; whether tires, wheels, drive shafts, even gears, and there is more than one possible way it can go back together then you MUST mark the rotating part before you take it apart so you know how to reassemble it again. There is a difference between a static balance and dynamic balance; and rotating parts have a way of illustrating this difference.

Vibrations in drive shafts are most often caused by angles refered to as the pinion angle. Because the drive shaft is rotating in a circle only when it is collinear (in a straight line) as soon as you induce a bend (make an angle in the drive shaft) the drive shaft acts as though it where rotating elliptically, gaining speed in some parts of the rotation and slowing down in others. This is called a change in the radial velocity. A drive shaft must have the angle exactly the same at each end of the shaft, only with a different sign (one end pointing up the other end pointing down), so that the two changes in speed exactly cancel each other out. If not you get a very annoying vibration that changes with vehicle speed. (If you find a major harmonic by speeding up or slowing down it can shake badly enough to break parts).

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

200r4 issue and drive shaft issue

Basket case car, just about finished

Thank you for anwsering.
1 200 r4 issue, 1962 impala, alumn powerglide 9 inch tail shaft. Driveshaft shop wants to re-engineer it I say no, cut front shaft 3 1/8 inches. What do you say

2 Drive shaft was disassembled. I would like to know GM's instruction for phasing

Last edited by Rodder 2; 06-03-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: change forum
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM

I would rebuild the tranny and use a six inch tail shaft. It will require you to find a shorter out put shaft and the shorter tail housing, but then the factory drive shaft will fit without issue.

The nine inch tail shaft was out of a truck or big car with a long single drive shaft. A rebuilt tranny offers piece of mind and allows you to add any heavy duty parts and a shift kit. Nothing worse than going to all of the bother of installing it only to pull it later because it is slipping or has other issues.

Big Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

200r4

The 200r4 trans is already built and in the car.
What about shaft issue and phasing questions I asked.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM

No idea! I never worked for GM's design team back in the early sixties 60's. I was still in college getting my engineering degree (then I took a short vacation from engineering as I learned to fly over beautiful southeast indo-china, aka Vietnam).

Big Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Shorten the front driveshaft. I did that with my '62 bel air changing from the PG to TH350. If you grind the weld off the yoke, there's a nipple on the inside of the yoke that slide into the driveshaft, so the driveshaft will always be centered with the yoke. Carefully cut off what you need with a chop saw, spot weld it back together, check length, then spot weld around the whole driveshaft until you welded the whole joint.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank You for the info. That was my felling. The driveshaft shop wanted to do back and front shaft.

Do you have any idea on 2 piece shaft PHASING
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM

A two piece doesn't have phasing issues if it goes back together the same way it came a part (mark it with a permanent marker before you cut it). It will still have to be rebalanced.

Speaking of which your factory balance was for only 45 mph. if you plan on any interstate cruising (they hadn't been built when your car was new) get them to balance the shaft for 90 mph.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page