New guy with VIN woes on dream car? - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

New guy with VIN woes on dream car?

Hi From Maryland Everyone,

I am in the final steps of getting (hopefully) my dream car! This process has been a nightmare, it is coming from an estate, the car has not been registered since 1987. According to the family they are the second owners of the car (purchased in 1969 from the original owner). Thier father used the car for weekends until he got sick in 1987. The car was driven into the owners garage and covered and was never driven again along with the other 10 cars in his fantastic collection. The entire estate went to auction two weeks ago, I bid on and won the Impala SS Convertible.

In trying to complete this, I am having trouble with the VIN #. My insurance company says it is not valid. The car appears to be a 1964 Impala SS Convertible with a 409 4 speed. The VIN # is;

41467C110442

The point of contention seems to be the "C" for assembly plant. I looked at the car itself and the VIN tag is clear. According to it the VIN is
41467C110442. Does this mean there is something wrong with this car? I checked the motor, it is the type with the X on the front - it appears to be correct. The car is almost all there (orginal hub caps are gone, same with the radio). The paint is filthy, so I am not sure what condifion it is in, the interrior is really nice. The motor looks clean though the battery and air cleaner are gone. The top is surpisingly good.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not rich, so if I get burnerd it will take YEARS to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Welcome to the Team Robert!

The VIN is what it is. Verify by examining registration documents if the number has not changed since the second owner bought the car. Attempt to contact the first owner to see if by some unbelievable chance he kept any documentation from purchasing the car originally. Then learn to live with owning the 10,441st full size car built by Chevrolet with V-8 power made in 1964 at the Atlanta (actually the plant was in Doraville), Georgia that was an Impala SS two door convertible because it can not be changed by federal law. Personally I see nothing wrong with the VIN. What problem are they having with it?

By the way the 409 motor may very well have your car VIN stamped on the block because back in 1964 "high value" engines that were popular with thieves were all stamped at the factory (or supposed to be according to GM edict) to dissuade auto theft. It was not yet required by federal law, but it had been passed by congress to go into effect in 1967.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dave!

The probelm was the insurnace company says that "C" was not a valid assembly plant. The agent sent me this as possible plants;

A = Atlanta, GA
B = Baltimore, MD
F = Flint, MI
G = Framingham, MA
H = Fremont, CA (1964 only)
J = Janesville, WI
K = Kansas City, MO
L = Los Angeles, CA
N = Norwood, OH
O = Oakland, CA
R = Arlington, TX (1964 only)
S = St. Louis, MO
T = Tarrytown, NY
U = Southgate, CA (1964 only)
W = Willow Run, MI
Y = Wilmington, DE (1964 only)

The good news is the real agent will be back today so I do not have to deal with this assistant who just seems too bust to want to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Robert!

The VIN is what it is. Verify by examining registration documents if the number has not changed since the second owner bought the car. Attempt to contact the first owner to see if by some unbelievable chance he kept any documentation from purchasing the car originally. Then learn to live with owning the 10,441st full size car built by Chevrolet with V-8 power made in 1964 at the Atlanta (actually the plant was in Doraville), Georgia that was an Impala SS two door convertible because it can not be changed by federal law. Personally I see nothing wrong with the VIN. What problem are they having with it?

By the way the 409 motor may very well have your car VIN stamped on the block because back in 1964 "high value" engines that were popular with thieves were all stamped at the factory (or supposed to be according to GM edict) to dissuade auto theft. It was not yet required by federal law, but it had been passed by congress to go into effect in 1967.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM

The list of assembly plants omits "D", which was Doraville (Georgia).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Robert,
Please post your trim tag information as well. The body manufacturing plant shown on the trim tag may be helpful since there is a relationship between these two plants.

Also you should post this under the "Tag Team" Forum/section to get the experts to comment.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Robert,
Please post your trim tag information as well. The body manufacturing plant shown on the trim tag may be helpful since there is a relationship between these two plants.

Also you should post this under the "Tag Team" Forum/section to get the experts to comment.
THANKS!

When I get home I will go over and get the trim info and post it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
C was an assembly plant in 64, Doraville GA. Then in 64, they changed the letter to D and they used the C for the Southgate, CA assembly plant in 65. So your vin is definitely a real one. If you want to post the trim tag and engine pad numbers, we can help you figure out if it's a real 409. Might be a build sheet under the back seat.
Warren
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Warren is correct. The Doraville, GA assembly plant used the "C" designation for the '64 model year. The Fisher cowl tag could either be a "BA" or an "AT".
Your agent must have gotten that list from somewhere on the internet and it's wrong. For instance, it lists Baltimore as a '64 assembly plant. There were NO '64s built at Baltimore!

Verne
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE

The VIN issue has been resolved, the car should arrive at my house at the end of the week. THANKS for everyones help!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Don't forget photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page