Electrical and Wiring 66 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Electrical and Wiring 66 Impala

I need to know the complete writing system for the fuel gauge and the fuel tank on a 66 Impala- can anyone help with this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Welcome to the Team Richard!

Have you searched for previous responses to your frequently asked question? In just todays posts from 7:00 this morning until now we have had three members asking about problems they are having with their corroded forty to fifty year old wiring.

Your problem is most likely due to a bad electrical ground at the gas tank. Simply taking it apart and looking for a problem usually fixes about half of the problems as you break up the corrosion on the terminals and the steel where the terminal wire bolts. Some times it is a problem with the rheostat on on the sending unit and it will have to be replaced. Unless your car has been sitting in a field with the windshield shot out it is rarely ever the gauge but it is easy to check just ground out the wire that goes back to the tank If the needle moves it is working.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave,

Thanks for your help. The car has no wiring at all and I need to put the wiring in it- have just been filling the gas tank twice/week since the gauge isn't working. Need to find out how and see if there are schematics/fuse size, etc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Do you have the wires?
There should be three different piles. One for in front of the fire wall which is easy to spot because of the head light sockets and the turn signal bulbs. The next harness is the under dash that has the fuse block, and finally the rear harness that has the tail lights and the gas tank wiring.

If you are missing wiring you can buy all of the original wiring (complete OEM exact copy) from American Wire. I personally feel that the factory wiring is under sized so even though I have never restored a car (more often I am accused of destroying cars) I either make my own wiring harness, or buy one from Painless. Painless makes wiring harnesses by the number of circuits you want in the fuse box and uses a heavier gage wire to handle heavier loads such as a radio. People do not realize that modern radios draw more power than your 1966 alternator out puts at full throttle (generally 36 Amps). The factory never envisioned modern electrical loads of fuel pumps fans and even electric water pumps or air compressors for bagged cars.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Richard,
Here is a link to the '66 wiring diagram:
http://www.antechlabs.com/K0GFM/wd.jpg

A '66 technical manual will have more detailed diagrams if required.

American Auto wire makes the best repalcement wiring for you original car.

www.americanautowire.com

Brown wire from the tank unit to the gage.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 AM
BA.

aww man, you beat me to it Craig!!

you've posted that for me twice now I think. I finally saved it in multiple places.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 PM

Question Underhood light,

Awesome wiring diagram. Sure beats the black and white one in the service manual.

My 66 has an underhood lamp. Window sticker has it as a part of the conv. equipment. Anyhoo...There is a brown wire routed across the hood padding, and down near the junction box but it is just placed there loose.

If the diagram shows the underhood lamp wiring, i am missing it.

Anyone have a car that has a functional one that could shed some light on where and how the hood switch is and works?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 AM

The underwood light is a mercury switch withing the lamp itself. The wire goes from the lamp to the terminal on your horn relay. It is grounded by the attachment screw. Very simple design same a s the trunk light. No separate switch.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks Craig,

Simplistic engineering for sure.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Love to get a copy of your window sticker, could you please e-mail it to:
[email protected]

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM

sorry for the poor quality of the picture of the (copy) of the window sticker.
I will post the trim tag also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2603  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Trim tag pic.

Going back to the under hood lamp mercury switch thingy.

I removed it, cleaned it, and hit any ground areas with some scotch brite and citrus cleaner, attached the wire to the fusable link and VIOLA! Works great. The assembly manual shows the two different locations for big block vs small block, and it was where it should be.

But....

The fuseable link that comes from the horn relay and ends just in front of the front wheel well is a translucent white ( yellowed with age ) tube that has a small 4 amp (i think 32volt) fuse in it. The black top plunges and twists to be removed, but that top, seems to be missing something that would retain the wire. I managed to pinch the wire around the upper part of the fuse and close the link to get it to work, but it's a little hack for my likes.

Anyone know what that black top might be missing? I could take a picture of it if need be.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimtag.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2604  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page