New member to the forum, Hello! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

New member to the forum, Hello!

Hello folks,

Name is Jeff, I have read this forum avidly for a long time, and would like to thank the many contributors to the different threads. Reading and filtering the postings over the past 2 yrs or so has helped me search for, find, and bring the car i was looking for home. The threads regarding the decoding of trim tags, protecto-plates, and build sheets was particularly helpful.

A special shout out to Big Dave, as i have come to appreciate fully your knowledge with these cars.

In March, (after searching for a long time and many miles) i found a 74,000 mile 66 SS 396 convertible that was very well cared for. Aside from one repaint of Marina blue and a new black top (F-2), an alternator that traces to the early 70's and some other minor things, the car is all there.

Any advice on posting pictures would be appreciated. Also, is pay pal the only way you can pay for a subscription?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by JFS66SSRAG; 07-03-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM

Welcome aboard Jeff

Frame up restoration of 1967 Impala in progress
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Welcome Jeff, sit back and enjoy!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the Team Jeff!

You don't have to pay for anything (that I know about anyway). Subscription to what?

Here is how you post pictures on this and all of the other boards you will encounter (thanks to Philip who is a moderator on Team Nova where I am also a mod there).

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6028

My expertise isn't with Impalas. I used to hot rod Camaros and Novas mostly. It wasn't until long after I got married that I had to get a "family car" to chauffeur my deceased in-laws around (they were alive back then). Prior to that I probably would have snapped my Mother-in-Law's head off from the acceleration of the last Nova I built. So I bought my first Impala in 1985 (though I used to build and race a lot of '55's if they count as full size cars).

My parents owned a new 1958 two door sedan, a 1965 283 Impala (my dad's first V-8) and a 1968 Caprice 9C1 that was a real hot car. I worked on all of them at my garage I had back then so I have some experience, just not in restoring cars, as they were all brand new when I played with them.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2576

Name:	B12.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	2577

Name:	666.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2578

Name:	664.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2579

Name:	70.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2580
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Welcome Jeff, Very nice car.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM

WOW! Sweet car!

1964 Impala SS Convertible. 409, 4 speed, dual quad
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Welcome nice rag!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome!.

I should have signed up to the site a long time ago, but never got around to it while i was on "the hunt" for the car. Always knew i would if i found one though.

I owned an almost identical car from 1980 through 82, but was getting married and refused to drive it through a Western New York winter, so i sold it and bought furniture. That car was an F-2 SS rag also, but had a 283 with a glide, bumper guards and interestingly, factory cruise. ( can't believe how rare those units are now ).

I have started a history of the car, and verified a fair amount of info by tracking the ownership backwards and trying to end up with some information from the original owner that is on the protecto-plate. Found the address was real, and the person did exist, but through obituaries. I will exhaust other avenues before i go calling long lost relatives.

Doing the numbers matching thing has been a rewarding experience as well as an education in these wonderful machines.

They do stir the emotions.

Jeff
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM

You won't need much technical help. You really bought a ready to go car. Beautiful! Congratulations!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glen.

The car is in good condition, and has been well cared for, but.... hours and hours and hours of cleaning degreasing and fussing around with.

The delima down the road will be.... keep it an an unmolested original surviving car?.....or....do the whole frame off restoration?

For now though, I am enjoying driving it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2588  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS66SSRAG View Post
Thanks Glen.

The car is in good condition, and has been well cared for, but.... hours and hours and hours of cleaning degreasing and fussing around with.

The delima down the road will be.... keep it an an unmolested original surviving car?.....or....do the whole frame off restoration?

For now though, I am enjoying driving it.
Just my opinion looking at photos but I would say it has many years of service before it will need restoring.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page