My new '64 Impala SS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

My new '64 Impala SS

I am new, my name is Brad and i have a car that is well almost 20 years older than me so obviously lots of questions... My dad had Chevy's like this one (Chevelle, Bel Air, etc.) so he cant help a lot... its got a 327 in it and the one thing neither of us know is electrical wiring... the head lights must have a short they work kind of and only stay on for oh i'd day like 1 min. max, the other thing is it looks like someone was doing something with some sort of flip switch under... (not factory) the fuel gauge, speedometer, and odometer dont work so any help on how to get these working would be great... thanks so much... it was sitting according to the owner for about 5 years just in the garage... so you have to feather the gas, we did some fuel cleaner in it to day and a full tank of 93 Octane fuel... hope that helps, any advice is appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the Team Brad!

We can talk about how the factory did things, as that is documented in wiring diagrams and everybody is fairly familiar with how the factory ran their wiring. What no one can help you with (at least not over the internet) is what some one might have done to your car in the past. This is because we can not see it and haven't a clue what someone might have done to your car.

I can suggest some simple tools to diagnose electrical problems (since you can not see electricity). The first is a multimeter. You will need one that is digital and has auto range features and includes Volts (AC-DC) and Ohms and continuity at a minimum. You can find many models to choose from at RadioShack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...p=PPC%3AGoogle

While you are there buy a 25 foot spool of 12 gauge wire and two small alligator clips and one big one (you can use the small clip to make an electrical connection with the big one). This is used to provide either a known ground path or power as needed for debugging. A simple steel needle sharp probe with a light in the handle is also useful as you can stick the steel probe into connections that have been terminated to test the circuit without destructive insulation removal to get to the actual wire.

You will need a full size wiring diagram (the engineers drew these on D size paper that measured 24 inches by 36 inches), so if it appears a little small and hard to read on an 8-1/2 inch by 11 inch paper you know why. You can buy full size color copies of these fold out sheets that were originally used by line mechanics to repair cars, but you have to look as everyone sells a smaller copy normally.

You will also need a wire termination kit with a good selection of crimp on terminals and splices, a soldering gun to make the crimp on connections better conductors of electricity and some rosin core solder in various small diameters. Wouldn't hurt to buy some liquid electrical tape and shrink wrap with access to your wife's hair drier or a small heat gun.

Or you can just buy all new wiring from American Wire and install that instead.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbluefusion View Post
I am new, my name is Brad and i have a car that is well almost 20 years older than me so obviously lots of questions... My dad had Chevy's like this one (Chevelle, Bel Air, etc.) so he cant help a lot... its got a 327 in it and the one thing neither of us know is electrical wiring... the head lights must have a short they work kind of and only stay on for oh i'd day like 1 min. max, the other thing is it looks like someone was doing something with some sort of flip switch under... (not factory) the fuel gauge, speedometer, and odometer dont work so any help on how to get these working would be great... thanks so much... it was sitting according to the owner for about 5 years just in the garage... so you have to feather the gas, we did some fuel cleaner in it to day and a full tank of 93 Octane fuel... hope that helps, any advice is appreciated....
For your headlight issues, the first thing you should do is clean up the contacts on the back of the fuse box. There are 2 connectors on the drivers side of the firewall in the engine bay. They should be just below the washer fluid reservoir. Disconnect these (one at a time), clean them, and put them back together after applying dielectric grease. This is a common problem area for these Chevy's. My low beams on my '62 stopped working last year, and this was the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page