n00b here - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

n00b here

I'm crossing over. Formerly, I've enjoyed working on diesel Benzes... usually the W123 chassis. Well, I'm swapping my current tank (1985 300CD-T) for a 1970 Impala 4dr. Local, one-owner with records to prove it, 77k original miles, 350 engine, body in really good shape considering the age, and the interior... obviously no children were ever allowed inside. I've only found one or two spots of rust - one near the corner turn signal on the chrome front bumper and a few spots of surface rust on the inside of the trunk. Nothing that can't be fixed, and nothing that's started turning cancerous.

Meanwhile - was wondering, I'm so familiar with those danged Mercedes that I know what to look for when purchasing one of those. Are there any common issues with these? Things to look for?

I've had the car for two days so far. No issues of which to speak. Starts great in the morning. Nothing's leaking - aside from some mystery antifreeze near what I'm assuming is the a/c condensor, but nothing major. No hesitation. I can't even feel it when it shifts.

Anyhow - any input would be really appreciated. Thankin' ya muchly in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Welcome Chuck. Sounds like you acquired a nice solid Impala. I doubt it would have the rust issues we have up north. Only things I would look for on your car are front and rear end bushings and suspension parts that are worn or loose. Check your steel and rubber brake and fuel lines. Also throughly check your brake system including wheel cylinders. 40 + year old rubber turns to dust.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 PM

Welcome to the Team Chuck!

The coolant leak is probably from the heater core (the heater core box is fiberglass and has a drain if the car was equipped with A/C). On non A/C cars the leak is inside the car on the passenger side floor. Check ends of hoses for cracks first before you attempt to pull the heater box apart to replace a leaking heater core.

I loved my baby 'benz 190E, but the T5 tranny that they used in it finally died behind my little dual overhead cam four banger. Some kid had it before me and destroyed the synchronizers to the point where it is has locked itself in reverse and won't come out of gear. I know a kid had it because of the Stainless steel Coffee can exhaust tip that replaced the stock muffler.

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys... so basically, so long as it runs and isn't rusted out... I'm good. The accountant in me likes the fact that, for these American beasts, the parts and mechanic bills are easier to stomach (and find, for that matter). A client of mine is swapping it for the Benz, and he's catching flak at work for that. I had to promise him that I wouldn't... mistreat it by putting big rims on it and installing several subwoofers. A promise I gladly made.

I took the car back today - he's got a guy who's going to fix the fuel sending unit and charge the a/c with Freon. Which gives me time to finish putting parts back on the Benz before the swap. At that time I'll be sure to post plenty of photos of the yet-unnamed new member of my automotive family.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Here are some photos I got the guy to send me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page