Chevy Lover - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Chevy Lover

I have been a fan of the Chevrolet automobile for all of my life. My first Chevy was a 1955 convertible that I did a face lift restoration on in 1959. It was rode hard, and put away wet, but I didn't care, because it was the car that I wanted. Unfortunately, some of the cars that I owned, I shouldn't have ever sold, but you can't keep them all. I now have a 1962 Bel Air station wagon ambulance conversion. It is a great car, and the best part is that I can fix just about anything on it. Sometimes I need a little refresher course on the procedures. So far, I haven't been stumped for more than a few hours while I ponder the choices of what to do first. Having turned wrenches all my life, now I just move a tad slower, and have a greater respect for moving parts. On old cars, sometimes you only get once chance to repair it or break it. I prefer not to break anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Welcome to the Team Paul.

Did you get a fiberglass roof on your ambulance/hearse conversion or was it still all steel and the stock height in the back?

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

My car has a raised steel roof, and is an ambulance, as opposed to a hearse or combination car (dual purpose ambulance & hearse). The rear of the car where the tailgate is situated, was sliced off, and a swinging door installed. It started life as a station wagon police car, and was shipped to the body builder as an uncompleted vehicle. The modifications were performed, and then it was painted, and delivered to the customer. It has a 327 C.I. engine with a Carter AFB, and powerglide transmission. Because of loading hight being an important factor, it was equipped with 14" wheels, instead of the 15" wheels that came with the police package
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006L.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2702  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM

WOW THAT is a COOOOOL car!! AWESOME find. I have not seen one in so many years - what a head turner! As for the 14" wheels, I think even the police cars only had 14" wheels but I could be wrong so yours is dead on.

Where in the NE are you? I feel your pain about moving slower these days

1964 Impala SS Convertible. 409, 4 speed, dual quad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM

If I ever need to be rushed to the hospital, I hope it's in an ambulance just like that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop_rob View Post
WOW THAT is a COOOOOL car!! AWESOME find. I have not seen one in so many years - what a head turner! As for the 14" wheels, I think even the police cars only had 14" wheels but I could be wrong so yours is dead on.

Where in the NE are you? I feel your pain about moving slower these days
I live in CT on the MA border. The car came from NE. I knew the previous owner, that died a few years ago, and was able to purchase this from his estate. I also have other ambulances from the 1960's, but wanted this one because of its uniqueness and the fact that it is small enough to fit into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020L.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2703  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page