66 SS 4sp conv in Europe - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

66 SS 4sp conv in Europe

Hi Folks,
sorry, but again a shifter made its way to Europe:
66 SS 327 4sp matching# convertible

I bought the car last automn as a driver to take it to work every (dry) day in order to replace my commuting time by quality time. Although sold as in excellent condition, It leaked all its steering fluid the very first day.
Meanwhile, after a year and replacing for new brakes, carb, MSD ignition, posi (changed from 3.36 to 3.08 gears at the same time , better for the Autobahn), battery charger control, tank etc, It became a good, reliable driver.

Two questions:
In order to not use up the precoius original engine, I plan to do an engine swap for a Smeding 383 Cruiser engine 360HP. I have the 8.2 10 bolt rear end, so I know I must handle it with care. The question is more for the trans: Is it a real Muncie M20 that will hold at ease or is it a Saginaw that will suffer/break from the power? I read in forums that GM often put the Sag in for apps below 300HP (mine is an 275). On the other hand, my trans reads P1022, which is an october-built Muncie code. Any chance that this is actually a Muncie?
Second question: I am about to g
o for redline tyres next season. When measuring my rally wheels, I end up at 15x8. Is this possible? A friend has a 66 Caprice with 235/60/15 in front, while my lousy little 215/60/15 touch the bars when turning the sterring wheel. Anyone experince with 215/65/15 on 15x8 in front?

kind regards from Alsace
Konrad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2725  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:35 PM

To determine if you have a Muncie transmission all you need is a magnet. If it sticks it is a Borg-Warner T-10 or a Saginaw four speed (designed and built originally for the 90 horsepower Corvair air cooled six cylinder). The Muncie transmission used an aluminum case and the magnet won't stick to it. The B-W T-10 would hold up to a SBC but could not last long behind a 348 or 409 which is why Chevy switched over to their new and improved (or in the words of MacDonald's Super-sized) copy of the Borg-Warner T-10 transmission.

The 8.2 inch ten bolt will hold up to the 383 as street tires will slip first. If you ever put big stickies on the car you can kiss the 8.2 inch ten bolt good bye.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM
BA.

Cheers mate,great looking car you have there!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Welcome Konrad. If your running 215 tires you need to go bigger. 215's are for Nova's. Yes Corvette's came out with the 15 x 8 rally wheels.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up it's a Muncie

Thanks for the hint Big Dave, the magnet fell of like dead wood
@to 8.2 tenbolt: It will never see tracks nor Hoosiers nor burnouts, just easy-on-the-clutch-street-use and floor-it-time-to-time-on-the-Autobahn, so I'll dare the 383. I want that thing to last, not to race.

Thanks Larry for the wheel info, so I will check for 4inch backspace to confirm whether they fell from a Corvette
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 PM

My 68 is running 255-60-15 on Corvette's. Factory they're neutral backspacing on 8 " rims. No issues on the four corners and there is room to lean her heavy in the corners too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page