New to the world of Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

New to the world of Impala

Hi, I am new to here from Seattle. I have been dreaming about having an Impala since I was in high school and now I am in college. I really think today's cars don't get much "personality" as the cars back in the day. Hope I will make my dream come true soon with all the helps from you guys.

I have been working part time jobs; making and saving some money, not a lot though. I am looking for a restored Impala(clean, running, driving) from the 60s, not sure which model, because all of them look so beautiful. I have a question, what would be a reasonable low price for 60s Impala that is restored? I see price varies. Will it cost a lot to have such a car?(parts, maintenance, I am not very mechanical but I am learning)

By the way, English is not my first language, hope it wasn't a too bad to understand lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Welcome Kenneth. Buy the best car you can afford. Be very aware that people buy these cars in very poor shape and do a shoddy job half *** restoring them to make a quick profit. Ive seen time and again where someone buys what they think is a nice old car when all they bought is a high price pile of rust with a shiny paint job covering it up. What ever year car you like ,Don't be afraid to take a mechanic and a body man with you that you trust and also put the car up on a lift to inspect it. Nice old cars are not cheap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Welcome to the Team Kenneth!

They are expensive to buy but not that expensive to maintain. They are not as fuel efficient either compared to the aero coupes that all look alike. They exude "personality" though so I recommend that you attend a lot of car shows not only in your area but as you travel on vacation. Keep saving as a good car with your name on it is out there now.

Most old guys buy these cars and restore them as a labor of love. They realize that the price they sell them for will be one half to one third the amount of time and money that they put into these cars. The good news is that a fully restored car is in better shape after the restoration than the same car was when new. This is because the seams are all straight and the paint is even and the mechanics fitted to the car that were just thrown on by assembly line workers when built.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave and Larry! I know nice old cars are very expensive, so I'll be probably looking for a driver that is not as nice and shiny, but clean and driving. I usually get on Craigslist to check for the cars around my area, what other places do you look for cars? By the way, are there good books to read about Impala or old classic cars? Thank you!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 AM

welcome

am a newbie also
welcome
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Try looking on oldrides.com, Ebay classic cars, classiccars.com, auto trader classics, Mecum auction etc. Google is your friend for finding listing sites. I found my '66 on auto trader classics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page