New, Looking for advice on 63-64 prepurchase - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

New, Looking for advice on 63-64 prepurchase

Well, for as long as I can remember I have wanted a 64 impala. specifically a 409 but I am aware that wont be happening anytime soon. So, for not I have the oppurtunity to purchase a restoration project. I have found a 63 locally that would appear solid. I know it does not have the original motor but I am not terribly worried as I am a mechanic. However, I do want to make sure that I don't over look a fatal flaw in the frame or body.

Through some of my research I have found that body mounts seem to be a big issue along with the ridgidity of the frame. is there anything I need to take a serious look at and possibly avoid if the issue is present? And like most classic cars it seems that the floor and trunk pans also appear to be a major concern but I was told they had already been addressed and are completely new.

Thanks in advance any information will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM

If the floor pans are completely new you need to have a good hard look and see if they're actually new or just patched, and if they were installed correctly. The body mounts and trunk (above the rear springs) were bad for rust, as well as the rear edge of the trunk.

If it's a 2-door HT the 63's and 64's typically crack in the quarters right below the windows. If it's cracked this is normal and not a major concern (it happens due to the location of the body mounts on such a long quarter), but if they don't appear cracked I would wonder how or if they were repaired, or if they're just covered with bondo. That could be a problem.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Are there ever issues with the frames cracking or rotting out?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Not so much cracking from metal fatigue so much as rotting out. Corrosion is a major issue on any car this old. Paint was enamel and wasn't applied where it didn't show. Undercoating was a dealer installed option and was applied over whatever was on the car when you bought it (so if it had been demoed a half dozen times they would seal in any road salts or road grime along with everything that got splattered.

Big Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I will check out everything really closely and hopefully will be driving it this weekend... One last question, is there anything that can't be fixed or isnt worth the money/hassle too fix?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Sorry I forgot to say welcome to the Team Anthony!

Big Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 PM

Welcome Anthony.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Well I just got back from taking a look at the car and it would appear to be pretty solid. there are a few rot spots, like inside the gas fill and it looks like a crossmember for the frame/body (it goes out towards the rear windows). Trim is in rough shape but some of it is workable and it needs a center driveshaft bearing. Definitely a 20 footer kinda car. The guy is asking $9500 but I have him at $8300 right now. it is a 4 speed with a 350 (stock, with a few leaks) and a ton of audio work which I could careless for. Also missing the rear side panels, not sure how hard those are to come by. So what do you all think?

Buy or pass?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM

Personally, I would pass based on your description.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

if I held out until after tax returns and the beginning of the year will I have to worry about a price/value hike in these cars since the 63 will be turning 50?

Also I want to apologize for the lack of pictures I can't seem to find the original post anymore. I think the car would be restorable just don't know if it will be more then I can handle.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM

If you want to restore a car, put your money into an original one, not one where you are spending money on one that has already had work done (and needs more).

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMazar View Post
if I held out until after tax returns and the beginning of the year will I have to worry about a price/value hike in these cars since the 63 will be turning 50?

Also I want to apologize for the lack of pictures I can't seem to find the original post anymore. I think the car would be restorable just don't know if it will be more then I can handle.
No, you don't have to worry about a price hike in the value of the 63's. The old car market goes up and down, and here in Canada a nice original driver should go for somewhere in the $12-$18K range. There's guys that want more but they aren't getting it. Just keep an eye out for something good, what you described sounds like it's way overpriced.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM

thanks for all the information guys

forum indonesia
indonesia community
iklan gratis
web directory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page