Another new guy - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Another new guy

Hi guys my name is Jason and I recently picked up a 66 impala. I have owned chevelles, camaros, roadsters, boats, bikes, pretty much you name it at one time I have owned it. The current project is my $300 runner I bought from a kid who had big hopes for it but unfortunately was forced to either sell it or lose it to the junkyard. I wasnt looking at the time but couldnt pass it up. Overall condition is best described as rusty, pretty much every panel. The good is its complete, runs and stops. I believe it has a 327 motor, true duel exhaust welded up with headers and flowmasters. I found a local guy who sold me a complete front clip(I need fenders, hopefully going to have more luck fixing these used fenders than the completely rusted ones currently on it), front buckets, center console steering column(no console yet) and rear seat for $100. None of the parts I have picked up are mint but decent usable condition for now. I assume pics are in order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Heres a front clip I picked up for $100 including front buckets, center shifter column and rear seats. I was recently informed that the 65 fenders I bought this clip for may not fit my 66, does anyone know if this is definately true? Thanks

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

14 views no welcomes, did I do something wrong?

Last edited by wnaplay; 10-21-2012 at 02:18 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Just not much traffic through this site

Howdy neighbor! You're only about 1/2 hour from me. Looks like you have a great start for a project, rusty, but not beat and abused looking. '66 is one of my favorites too.

Oh, that front clip won't do you much good unless you want to make the car look like a '65. Probably best just to resell the clip and keep looking for the right parts. I've seen a few '66 clips for sale this last year. One of them only came with another car though.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I only took on the car to keep it from just turning into scrap. Will the fenders not fit or just change the overall look? The only notable features I see between them are the side humps that appear to be on the 66. I prefer to drive and restore rather than tear down and losing interest. If I can make these 65 fenders work for awhile than I am fine but not at the cost of having to change over everything else that came with the clip. Thanks for the welcome.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM

You would need to swap it all over. The entire front section of the fender is shaped different.

Have you looked the frame over real good to check for rot?

'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

The drivers side frame is severely rotted. I will get it on the lift and strengthen it with some new steel but this will always be a friday night cruiser just up to the local jegs. I dont plan on this ever being a showcar and will do stuff to it as I feel up to it. I mainly want it to look/run decent and if another better frame comes along I may change it all over if its in decent condition at the time. I know my limitations and if it ends up being drawn out before I can enjoy it I will lose interest and sell it. What exactly is the difference in the 2 years with these fenders? They appear to be almost exactly the same and the seller swore they would fit, perhaps he was referring to the entire clip but I was pretty clear when I asked him what my intentions were for the fenders.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM

I know what you mean about the frame. The passenger side of my '70 is shot, but I'm having fun driving the car and fixing things as I go. I do a frame swap when I happen across a good one.

If you were to put one of those fenders up against your car and compare them, it would be easy to see the differences. There's a lot, some minor and some major.

'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Welcome to the Team Jason!

Big Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I just went out and looked at them and finally seen the difference, I dont know how I missed it. Which if either is the more prefered front end style. I dont necessarily mind doing the swap over if the 65 is thought to have the better looking front end. What would I be able to use thats existing? Would my bumper still fit, core support, lights, grill, anything? The reason I ask is there are some good parts on the front that are in good shape I would prefer to use over the used more worn parts of the clip. Is there anything that would bolt up?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Taking this conversation to the body section. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page