Hello from Northwest Ohio! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Northwest Ohio!

Hello!
Have been reading and learning a lot here in the past month, you guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience!
Planning on resuming work this spring on my 1967 Impala two door fastback, with 283 that I began 24 years ago. I had smashed up the the front end in a fender bender, and first summer outta high school decided to pull the front end and rebuild the engine, then a friend was gonna help me with the body work. Well I did the rebuild on the engine, got it running, then started college. Needless to say, at that point I was short on time and money, priorities shifted, so it sat in Mom's garage for about 16 years, then trailered to my place when Mom passed and sat in my garage till now. Finally at a point where I have a little time, and maybe a dime here and a nickle there to spend on her. I don't have pics at this time but will post some in spring at the start. Wish me luck and perseverance, she's in rough shape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up Welcome and Hold on tight!!

Welcome Doug As you said this site and the people on it, can answer about any question you will run into on the way to restoreing your Chevy. I really enjoy reading the different subjects. Don in Indiana
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Welcome Doug. Have you collected any parts to start your restoration? There are several guys on this forum in Ohio. I'm outside Dayton. My son bought a 67 Impala that sat for years in a garage. We got it running but it needs a lot of bodywork in the spring.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Don!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey Larry! Didn't see this message earlier, (this is the first forum I've ever been part of and learning to find my way around town). Your boy's '67 is awesome, one of the types that a month ago were making me a little discouraged (was seeing people's donor cars that are soo much nicer than mine, lol). I've got a better perspective now, mine is in better shape in some areas than many others I see, like interior. Also it has sentimental value so I have realized that unlike many who look at projects with a more practical/clinical eye as far as return on investment and such, I know I'm going to be spending much time and money on pretty rough car. I know I need a radiator support. I have a hood and front clip that is in ok shape, ok well it's all pretty rough. My passenger quarter needs work or replaced (I don't know enough about body work to really know) and we'll see about the frame and undercarriage when warm weather hits as it's been 25 years since I've been under her, and I was not thinking restoration then. Btw love your '65 wagon, the first family car I remember was a '65 Belair, love those round tail lights.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks Doug. I never could afford a old rust free car that didnt need a lot of work. But I build them to be the best I can. I will probably never sell the convertible because I have to much sentimental value in it. It was a rough car.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Your convertible is beautiful! Took me a minute to see the "show all albums" on your profile.
With the sentimental thing, yeah, I can't imagine selling mine either. I went to pick it up with my Dad when I was around 5. It was my first car. Did a lot of cruising in high school in it (small town, real cruisin', like for chicks, not a cruise night or shows lol)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
BA.

Welcome Doug!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Allan! Glad to be in such good company! Looks like we have a good representation
from Ohio. Love your '69 Camaro, and both your '66's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey Allan, I just looked back at one of your older post where you were learning to weld in patch panels, and wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. I can tear down, and put back together just about any engine and make them run, but have never learned body work and am rather intimidated by the work that my '67 will need, as to afford it I will have to do as much of it myself as possible. So thanks again, I'm sure there will be tons of question in the future.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM

I'm a little bit later than the rest but, welcome! I'm closer to central Ohio myself.

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Andy! Glad to be part of the group!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page