New guy in NY - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

New guy in NY

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say Hi and that I'm glad I found this site! I actually joined a few weeks ago and didn't even notice this section, lol.

I have a 66 Impala and 69 Impala coupe. Both 2 doors. The 66 I bought as a roller and will be drag racing it this year with a small block. Not sure if anyone here is into drag racing, but don't worry, the car isn't hacked up. I want it to look fairly stock with the exception of rims, tires and a hood scoop(I have two hoods for it). And a roll bar if needed. I'm keeping the stock buckets in it too

I recently aquired the 69 and found out after I got it home that it has the numbers matching 300HP 350 . Not sure on the transmission yet. But it's a 12 bolt AC car too. It runs and drives, but needs lots of work. I was going to make a drag car out of it before I realized how original it is. It even has the original shocks! But I'm not much of a resto guy, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now.

Anyway, that's my Impala story. Thanks for reading!

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Welcome Adam.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Welcome to the Team Adam!

You are really optimistic if you think you will need a cage with a small block powered Impala. They used to occupy the bottom (L through S) in the stock classes. They haven't been competitive in super stock since the days of the 409. If you are going to run Comp class I would recommend a change of plans and select a BBC motor that is as big as the car you are thinking of running.

Jason Line put a 557 Pro Stock short block (he and his partner Greg Anderson have some experience in running big block powered Pro Stock class cars), and installed a set of aluminum Trick Flow PowerPort 360 aluminum cylinder heads into his 68 Biscayne station wagon. He hasn't been able to break into the tens as of yet running low elevens in a car that he drives to and from the track, as well as around town when competing on the Pro circuit with the NHRA.

http://www.maxchevy.com/features/car...iscayne-2.html

http://www.dragzine.com/news/68-bisc...o-the-low-11s/

He won't need a cage until next season and is already outputting over 750 horsepower on pump gas with his motor (a feat I think a bit difficult for a small block to pull off without a blower).

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

Dave,

Funny you mention stock class. I was thinking about that with the 69. Always wanted a stocker and that would be a cheaper(haha) class(L/M) to get in to.

As far as a cage, I would just need a bar if I break 11.49. I had a Malibu wagon that ran 12.0's with a pump gas 355 at 3,460lbs. Full interior street car. I've got a bigger small block now and with more gear I'm hoping to get in the 11's with the 66. We'll see.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Thumbs up Welcome Adam

This site is really a good place to find the answer to all things Chevy!! It is amazing how many smart people are on this site. Welcome aboard and hang on tight the ride is a blast! Don on my way to Cancun Mexico. Tequila and Rum. It is my yearly Vacation. There are some nice old chevys around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page