Hello From a complete Newb :) - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Hello From a complete Newb :)

Howdy All,

I have a 69 impala sport coup that my father in law left me recently. It belonged to his dad when it was new and after he passed sat in a barn for 5 years. It has set in my father in laws garage for several years as well since he couldn't work on it due to illness. I am a fan of the classics but my mechanical skills are very little I am afraid. I would love to bring the old thing back up to snuff. Needless to say it has a lot of sentimental value to us.

Its a 255 hp 350 with 365 foot pounds of torque. It has a 3.07 rear end and 3 on the tree. I would like to get it looking more like an SS though I know it'll never actually be one. It runs well with some shifting issues (shifter feels like its full of molasses) and a gas gauge that doesnt work. I think I have attached a picture here.. at least I hope I have. I am also thinking that the rear springs are shot on it since it sets low in the back. Let me know what you think and of course any advice is welcome!!!

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peepaws69imp.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2879  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM

Welcome to the Team Chris!

Looks to be in great shape for such an old car. Ask away on questions though I would prefer one question per post.

You can ask as many as you want, but some folks follow a thread in the archives, and it would be nice to talk only about what they are trying to read about.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Welcome Chris. Nice Impala. Ditch the wheels, A nice set of Rally wheels would look nice. Install new rear springs. Gas guage is probably a ground at the tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Can do! And thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I was planning on ditching the wheels!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Chris most all those 3 speed shifters sucked after a few years of driving. You could start with a 4 speed transplant
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I have heard that those old 3 speeds are not the best things in the world. If I can get it fixed though I would like to have it just because there aren't that many left I am not opposed to going to a 4 speed should that prove to pricey or to hard
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Early Borg-Warner three speeds where incredibly weak (designed for a 236 cid six cylinder). The Saginaw three speed that was used in 1969 vehicles was fully synchronized and is strong enough to bolt up behind a big block (it was the base tranny with a big block). They are very popular in circle track racing and as such in demand.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Does that hold true for the column shifter mechanism as well? The transmission does seem to be working like a top but the shifter is what I am having the trouble with.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aearron View Post
Does that hold true for the column shifter mechanism as well? The transmission does seem to be working like a top but the shifter is what I am having the trouble with.
There are brass (sil-bronze actually) bushings in the steering column that wear with time. There are also steel collars on the ends of the rods that are exposed to the elements. Road grime and salts will cause the ends of the rods to wear down getting out of round, and the steel bushings to open up in size. Those bushings are the same ones as sold in a Hurst Shifter repair kit available on Amazon. So the bushings are easily replaced. You can also weld up the ends of the rods and then have them turned back down to form a circle again so that the mechanism will shift as smoothly as the worn steering column bushings will allow. But most of the wear is external so it will improve your shifting experience.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave!!! thats good info to have going forward!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page