Looking at 67 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Looking at 67

I am currently looking a 67 Impala. It is not an SS but has some better options. It has a 396 with a 4 speed. They are matching numbers. It will require rear quarters and it has rust by the front door and front fenders. What is something like this worth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the Team!

I wish I knew but I don't. Not that bad looking, and defintely holds a LOT of potential.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM

For sure, it will need more than fenders and quarters. Plan on inner fenders, core support, door bottoms, inner quarters, floor pans, trunk floor, and maybe some frame work. However, any big block/4spd car is worth bringing back!

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 PM

Garage
I got my 67 at an estate auction for $1800. It has a straight 6 with a powerglide tranny. It has critter damage in the interior and will have to be replaced. It needs half quarters and inner fenders but the rest is intact. I have not decided what to do with it yet but I am sure i will at least give it a modern suspension and disc brakes. I pretty much have a blank canvas but how much will it cost to finish???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fi25.cgi.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2923   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0651.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2924  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM

The engine could bring up to $2000 the tranny set up is worth an easy $1000. I would suspect a 12 bolt posi rear end maybe $1500 BUT that car has a lot of rust so all together Maybe $2000 but I would start lower. It is more of a parts car than a builder in my opinion
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
The engine could bring up to $2000 the tranny set up is worth an easy $1000. I would suspect a 12 bolt posi rear end maybe $1500 BUT that car has a lot of rust so all together Maybe $2000 but I would start lower. It is more of a parts car than a builder in my opinion
It has a 12 bolt rear end.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Around here ( Ohio ) That car would easy bring 2,500 As long as the frame is good. Everything else can be rebuilt.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM

I would think around $4500 if running.

Donnie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Rusty,
That car is a bit unique. It has a factory 4 speed with a bench seat as indicated on the trim tag. It's a pretty cool car but 67's are a bit expensive to restore. Need to check the frame with a hammer, the rear frame where it kicks up, along the length under the rockers, and even the front where it bends are all susceptible to rust thru. The floor and trunk are common and avaialble but no repo quarters to be had for that car. Patch pannels only and then you have to be a good body man. Used clean quarters are getting rare, 800-1,000 per side. Fenders all rust at the rear and the front where the core support attaches. Nothing that can't be done, just go into it with eyes wide open.

Mine was rough like that so I know what you are getting into. Unfortunately even though that is quite a unique combo it still will not bring more than a SS/396/4speed. Only do this one for an orginal resoration, if you plan on modifying one start with a better example.

See my share site if you want to see one in that condition.

That is still worth $3,000 all day long with the original engine and tranny.

Also send VIN and trim info to Warren for the data base.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Would it be a good assumption that the frame is shot because of all the quarter panel rust? The interior seems to be in a really good shape. I would just restore it. I would not modify it at all. I see that they sell patch panels and that is not all that expensive. I imagine lining them up can be a .
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Well its good to see that it is sitting up on all four tires. If it sits on the ground it pretty well sure that its bad. But also the frame filles up with road salt/sand and traps moisture so many are rotted from that. Take a big hammer and dont be gentle. When you pound on the frame it should be a nice twang, if it sounds like a thud you have issues. Good thing is that all the big cars had the same frame (except converts) so they are available if needed.

Also based on the quarters you will need trunk floor and front floor boards, the pass side toe board traps road debris and usually is shot.

The patch pannels are split (not full quarter) so you have to know what you are doing to make them straight. Also the lower body line in the rear is very faint on the repos so they need some work to make them look correct.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM

That's a lot of rust and rot...

If it were me I'd buy it and put the engine and trans into something solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page