Hello! New to group. - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Hello! New to group.

My sister and I went to a car show a few years ago and fell in love with a 67 Impala... always wanted one, dreamed about one so decided you only live once and we are excited to say we just purchased our first one which we hope will arrive in May from down south! Trying to figure out transport options now. It's a 67 4 door, hard top 283. Glad we joined this group!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Welcome to the Team Kelly!

There are dedicated semi based commercial transport companies that offer transport service. If you have a three quarter ton pick-up or larger you can rent a tandem axle car transport trailer from U-haul and drag it home that way. Or if you are feeling brave and have AAA Emergency Road Service Plus you can have your wife drive you down and attempt to drive it home.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I should say my twin sister and I (both girls). Had someone offer to drive it up but that's 1400 miles. Trying bids on uship.com

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

There I go assuming things again and we all know what that leads to.

Another option along the idea of finding someone to drive your car is a college student. It is getting near end of term, and there are hundreds of college students in residence at the University of Miami that will be driving home, or at least looking for a ride home if they do not have a car that would love to drive your car possibly as far as New York.

When I was a college student half a century ago snow birds from the Tampa Bay area would fly home and have a USF college student drive their car back for them by posting a request on the residence hall bulletin boards. Students were then always looking for cheap transportation.

Today driving is more much more palatable than the idea of flying cattle class. A resident college student has to travel with everything they own which frequently will not fit in the overhead bin. This is because over the summer rooms are all repainted disinfected and cleaned for the next occupant. That means there can be nothing in the room.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2archers View Post
My sister and I went to a car show a few years ago and fell in love with a 67 Impala... always wanted one, dreamed about one so decided you only live once and we are excited to say we just purchased our first one which we hope will arrive in May from down south! Trying to figure out transport options now. It's a 67 4 door, hard top 283. Glad we joined this group!
My first nice car was a 67 Impala, 2 door, 283, 2 speed Powerglide tranny. This was in 1971 when I was 17. I had the car 10 days before totaling it. Now, I have 2 old Chevys. One is a 66 Impala SS 4 speed, the other a 67 Caprice automatic. The Caprice is in the project stage, but very drivable with a brand new 350 crate motor. The Impala needs only a new paint job. Enjoy your 67 Impala. I sure loved that one I had way back when.

Jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Brand new member.

Hi folks, I just found this forum while trying to locate a center console for a 67 Caprice. It seems that I'm not the only one who needs that console. They seem to be a hard find. What a great site! I have 2 old Chevys. My daily driver is a 66 Impala SS 350 4 speed. I live in San Diego and haven't seen another 66 4 speed posted anywhere else in So. Ca.
My other Chevy is a project car that I flew to Montana last June to buy, a 67 Chevy Caprice that was advertised as having a 383 stroker. I liked it, but unfortunately I chose to drive that Caprice 2300 miles back. While about half way home, the stroker had a stroke in Utah. I've never seen a crank shaft split into 2 pieces. Had to have a mechanic in Ogden Utah, (Ogden Towing, great people by the way) locate & install a crate 350. They had me back on the road in 3 days with only $3400 out of pocket. Now, instead of flipping the Caprice as I had intended, I am restoring it. Anybody have a console??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 AM

Welcome to the team Jim!

You discovered the difference between a cast iron crank and a forged steel crank on your road trip. A cast crank when it finally fails breaks apart. A forged steel crank when it fails bends out of shape taking out the main bearings but stays in one piece.

This analogy applies to cast aluminum pistons and forged aluminum pistons. Cast pistons shatter like glass leaving a forged steel connecting rod with nothing to do except destroy your block.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Hello. 283 is a great engine. I have heard many mechanics say the 283 and 327 was some of the best motors Chevy ever built. My Impala currently has a 283 small block with a Tri-Power setup (three two barrel carburetors). Surprising how strong that small V8 is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting for my Impalas trip north (sigh). Unfortunately the snow birds going from Northeast to FL have clogged things up, lol. Can't wait to get it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page