Hello to all - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Hello to all

Hello fellow Impala/Full Size fans.My name is John. I own a 1967 Impala fastback that belonged to my late father. His final wish before passing away was for me to fix up his car, and I am trying my best to accomplish that; piece by piece as I can afford it. Because the car is all of my dad I have left, and because of the many memories I have of us cruising the East Tennessee countryside in it, it is very precious to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1262.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	3024  

Last edited by Rays67; 05-11-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the Team John!

Are you thinking white glove concours restoration, or "restification" with concessions to modern issues such as brakes that can stop the car from current free way speeds and radial ply tires that are wider and softer (which loads up your suspension more than the old bias ply skinny tires ever could).

I am assuming no fuzzy dice, Lakes pipes, baby moons and polyester fuzz around the dash and windows (all popular when your dad was younger, along with the wolf whistle or Aaaughaa horn).

Big Dave
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 PM

Welcome John, Nice thing your doing for your dad. I'm sure you'll want the car as your dad drove it with maybe a few updates.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

@Dave: The car is mostly in stock form, suspension wise, brakes and all. It has drums all the way around. My funds are limited at the moment, so I want to get a little body work done and some interior resto at this time. Bit by bit as I can.

@dadstoy: I have updated a couple things, but mostly it is how he left it. It sat in the backyard for quite a while before I could work on it, so it took a lot of buffing and polishing to restore the original paint.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Body work or more specifically corrosion control is all important. Maybe we could find a retired squid who was a Corrosion Control Technician/Airframe Technician. They have to play with all aluminum vehicles that have a lot of electrical charges unevenly distributed about the plane's air frame while working in a salt water environment to explain some of the techniques he used to keep a plane air worthy.

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/88968/i...nate-corrosion

If you remember back to your model airplane days they were all painted flat yellow pea green inside the canopy and up the tail pipe because every inch of the planes interior is painted with Zinc-Chromate primer to control corrosion.

These guys sell everything in small batches (you don't really want a rail car full of paint) that all meet Mil-Spec (another word for expensive; but it works) specifically to control corrosion. Even if you can not fix a panel now you still want to stop any new corrosion from occurring.

http://specialtycoatingsinc.com/military.php

Big Dave wore big brown shoes in the Navy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Welcome John! Your '67 fastback is beautiful! I inherited my '67 from my dad as well, but I drove it as my first car. This and the fact that it has resided in the rust belt, makes yours look like like an absolute dream comparatively.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

@Dave: I have a few rust issues that need repair. The worst is the trunk pan. Floor pans are solid, and the car was factory undercoated. Has a little rust on the lower rear front fenders and a tad on the rear quarter panels. Hope to patch that up with some fresh sheet metal soon.

@Dug: Thanks for the compliment. I wish you the best on your car.I'm sure yours has tons of sentimental value as well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Looks nice John,
I have a red on red 67 SS parts car.
Pics are in my share site.
Let me know if there is anything you need.

Good Luck with yours.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM

John, unfortunately almost all of the value on my '67 is sentimental lol. I also have factory or dealership undercoating on mine and am finding the floor panels solid everywhere but where they meet the reinforcement, they are rusted along those seams. My trunk has holes and cancer on both sides and issues along rear wheel wells just to mention a few issues. Good luck with your projects!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Looks nice John,
I have a red on red 67 SS parts car.
Pics are in my share site.
Let me know if there is anything you need.

Good Luck with yours.
Much appreciated, Fossil. I just might take you up on your offer someday.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Does anyone spray the underside of the car to help make it last and rust free? Undercoating? I heard one person sprayed it with a type of oil so dirt etc wouldn't stick. Sorry if I seem so new at this, but I am... lol!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM
BA.

Welcome John, glad to hear you will be making it roadworthy again.

2archers: an oil film would attract dirt on it's surface - personally I wouldn't do that. I'd go with a stripping/different coating method. (better to discuss in another thread, or use the Search button)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

@2archers: Here is a link explaining what vehicle undercoating is. Hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5006661_wh...ercoating.html
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2archers View Post
Does anyone spray the underside of the car to help make it last and rust free? Undercoating? I heard one person sprayed it with a type of oil so dirt etc wouldn't stick. Sorry if I seem so new at this, but I am... lol!
The guys that spray their suspension parts and inside of their wheels with WD-40 are usually driving off road and don't want mud to stick in places where the added weight would cause the drive line to become unbalanced and vibrate severely. It also makes clean up easier when you leave the trail area by hosing off the underside of your trail vehicle (ATV or 4x4) before you load it up or attempt to drive it home.

I used to have a pair of four wheel drive Suburbans I used to drive all over the country, on and off paved roads, looking to take photos. If you get a wad of mud inside a wheel and try and drive on paved roads afterwords it will shake your teeth out.

Big Dave
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page