New Member with Big Block - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
rod

Send a message via AIM to rod
New Member with Big Block

Hi! My names Rod and I have a 1967 impala ss convertible with a 396 in it.I guess it originally had a 427 in it,so I will before I die put a 67 427 back in it.Im looking for some parts for it not that it needs them I just want to upgrade it like the deluxe seatbelts I put in it.Im trying to find a gauge cluster for it instead of the idiot lights it has in it.I had two other 67 impala convertbles in the 70s but they had benches.Im 62 and retired and enjoying my grand kids and upgrading my SS Hope to learn some stuff and find some stuff THANKS Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Welcome to the Team Rod!

If your car is a "true SS" and not one that a former owner plastered with SS trim pieces sold across the counter at your local Chevy dealership for $3 a part back in the old days, it will have the style number of 16867 on the trim tag. I can say this because back in 1967 an SS package didn't buy you a performance car (you could order an SS Impala Convertible with a 194 six cylinder if you wanted better fuel economy, though the trim tag would change to 16767 if you did that). An SS bought you those decals and bucket seats with a floor shifted transmission housed in a console. That was all you got for your SS. The SS package didn't include gauges, that was another option.

If your cowl tag has the letter N preceded by a 4 on the same line then it was equipped with a 396 from the factory. That was a viable option in place of a 427 which was also offered.

Personally if I were to replace the motor you have now (which should be marked with your partial VIN stamped on the motor identification pad located on the front of the motor) I would replace your 396 short block with a rebuilt 454 short block out of a pick-up truck.

Yopu need to keep your 396 passenger car oil pan and oil pump as well as the complete top end of your current 396 engine (I would rebuild the heads while I had it apart). Your heads and cam are much better performance wise than what was used on truck engines after 1974 (because of emission requirements they changed the heads and cam).

I would replace your current cam and lifters as they are flat tappets and modern motor oil is not formulated to protect a flat tappet cam (Chevy hasn't built a motor with flat tappets for nearly three decades now). In the good old days motor oil was rich with a sacrificial metal called DZZP that is missing from modern motor oil because DZZP could pollute a catalytic converter (which your car doesn't have). You can buy that missing metal as an oil supplement. From GM it is called EOS for Engine Oil Supplement (notice the clever name). You can also buy it from Lucas and a bunch of other refiners of motor oil.

Finally your motor was designed to run on regular gas which back when your car was new was rated at 94 to 96 octane. So please use only high test in your car from now on as your engine will get into detonation otherwise and break the pistons.

Do not waste your money on 10 oz octane boosters as that only raises the octane from 93 to 93.1 or 93.2. Hardly worth the expense. A better choice is a gallon of lacquer paint thiner to ten gallons of gas. That will take you from 93 octane up to 96 octane. Adding more doesn't help much after that point. You have to add other chemicals in addition to the paint thinner to raise it higher. (Adding more because you have a twenty four gallon fuel tank does help, because you need two gallons of paint thinner to raise the octane that high, but one gallon will get you twenty gallons at 94.5 octane depending upon what octane you started with).

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM

I love convertibles. That 427 might be hard to find Welcome

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Welcome fellow '67 owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page