Im back - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Im back

after not posting for years and working on my 63 4 dr ht, i have decided to get back on the site as i'm getting a new 63. The new car is a 63 impala wagon and i will be swapping a bunch of the parts over from the 4 dr ht that i can including the frame. after i pick up the car i will start posting pics of the progress. I'm wanting to build an original patina car, similar to skim's 62 wagon.

I also work at ron francis wiring so if anyone needs any help or got questions just ask

chris

Sales / Tech Support @ Ron Francis Wiring

www.ronfrancis.com

Last edited by 1963impala; 07-31-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Welcome back Chris!

Not every one can appreciate a more door, but most love a long roof (even though there is so much more to love with it's fifth door in the back). I am glad you have a project you can enjoy working on.

I'll bet you're swapping the frames because of the work you have previously completed on your first project. Just be certain to note any differences in the two frames before you drop the body on it and replicate those differences if any before it is covered up and hard to get at. I would confirm that there are the same number of holes in the frame in the exact same locations; and to also look for any additional gussets to reinforce parts of the frame (such as brackets to strengthen the shock mounts), or additional cross-members; since the gas tanks mount in different locations.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

hey dave, yeah the wagon just had more appeal to me and it would have costed me more money to strip the paint off the 4 door than what this wagon cost me. The 4 door frame already has my tpi motor installed and all the stuff for the air ride done, ie. shock relocation, opened up the front spring cups for the bags. when i pull the body off the frames ill have the frames next to each other to compare and do what needs to be done to the 4 door frame. they are both canadian frames so maybe ill get lucky. i do have one question though. apparently it is impossible to get a factory wagon tank with a in tank fuel pump. any advice on what people are doing with wagons with fuel injection. I really dont want to do a external pump, so i guess modifying the original tank is the only option short of building a custom tank to fit in there.

thanks
chris

www.ronfrancis.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 PM

I run an external pump, but then I also ran a fuel cell. Not exactly concours correct.

You can buy a custom built stainless steel tank with an EFI high pressure pump built into the tank.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

my buddy can make a tank or we will just modify the original. Any places to source interior pieces. the car has no interior, but the power seat from my 4 door will swap no problem. my 4 door also has power windows. will the 4dr hardtop power windows swap over to the wagon?

www.ronfrancis.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM

So far as I know, yes, the mechanisms are interchangeable.

The interior parts out of your old four door should also transfer over. The motor for the tail gate is the same as that used in the doors.

The head liner is a two piece if I remember correctly. You would use the front half off a four door and cut off the part where it would drop down for the sail panels (it is cut off before you ever see it, it isn't a matter of you getting out your scissors). There is then a painted stamped steel rib that goes across the car to hold up the front half and the back half of the headliner is unique to a long roof.

Side panels for the rear are also unique.

Big Dave
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

My 4 dr had no headliner so ill be getting a new one. I'm look at ciadella interiors or maybe classic industries (since i get a discount) but classic doesn't list an interior for a wagon in the big book.

would you be able to take some interior pics of the rear of the car back seat to tailgate so i can get an idea on what is missing. Its hard to find pics online of the full interior of the wagon.

thanks dave

www.ronfrancis.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

I don't own a full size B-body any more, and I have never owned a car based station wagon (though I have owned three Suburban model light trucks). I have sent my mid-eighty Impalas and Caprice cars to the great recycler in Korea.

I will try and keep an eye pealed for a vintage X framed long roof at the next car show and see if I can get some photos for you.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks dave. is it hard to get a hold of skim on here?

www.ronfrancis.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963impala View Post
thanks dave. is it hard to get a hold of skim on here?
Send him a PM and see if he answers your request.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

yeah i did that. i know he frequents many message boards. just thought it might be easier over on layitlow.

www.ronfrancis.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page