Newb needs clarification: 1966 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Newb needs clarification: 1966 Impala

Hello...I am new to Chevy Full-size Automobile ownership, however, not new to GM auto collecting, having owned and still owning some '60s and '70s GM mid-sized muscle cars, i.e., Camaros, Firebirds, GTOs, 442s, Corvettes. I just recently traded for a beautiful 1966 Impala 2dr hdt with big block, 4 speed, a/c, buckets/console, power disc brakes, & powersteering. She drives like a DREAM!!

Going over the numbers, both VIN and cowl tag, I have discovered that the automobile,though outfitted as an SS, is not a true SS. No problem....I did not buy it as a true SS car to begin with. It is also a color change and ,I believe, an original small block car...Again, NO PROBLEM. My problem comes from the fact that the VIN # inside front driver door jamb does not correspond with the cowl tag under the hood on driver side firewall. I know that the numbers at the end of each tag should not match one another as one is Fisher Body code and the other is production line specific. In the vin# there is an 'S' indicating St. Louis, MO., however the cowl tag reads 'NOR'. I am familiar with this because early Camaros were built there. The rivets all look factory and not monkeyed with. MY question is: In 1966 is it possible that some Impalas were partially assembled, say, in St. Louis, then sent for final assembly in Norwood, OH or vice versa???? I have never seen this before in my many years of collecting and am wondering if this is peculiar to Chevrolet Full-size autos or if someone switched cowl tag or VIN. THANKS!!! David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Welcome to the Team David!

Yes they assembled many B-body cars at Norwood. It is best known as being where GM made most of it's F-body (Firebird and Camaro) as well as assembling the X-body Nova after 1968.

It was possible for a car to be manufactured in one Fisher Body plant and shipped by rail to another plant (even out of state) to meet demand. or in the case of labor actions taking cars off the line and shipping them elsewhere to be completed.

This is a quote off of Wikipedia's website describing the Norwood Assembly plant:

Quote:
"The facility had a number of labor disputes, including a 174-day long strike in 1972, at the time the longest strike in GM history. As a result of the strike, 1,100 partially completed cars were scrapped or otherwise disposed of because it was not economically feasible to update them to the more stringent 1973 vehicle standards. After the strike GM opted to move Nova production away from Norwood to protect the model from future labor problems."
Quote:

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave:

Thanks for your expeditious and informed response to my Vin tag/Cowl tag question. I interpret your response to mean that the discrepancy in the two tags is, if not common, at least it is possible, and is something that is seen from time to time in these Full-Size autos??? I hope that I understand this correctly as I will be able to breathe a sigh of relief--if such IS the case...Thanks again, David

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM

You should probably check the "hidden" VIN number which is stamped on the top of the frame, right behind the passenger side rear wheel opening. If it's not too rusty, you'll see it.

Living in St. Louis all my life, and being interested in Chevy cars, I have never seen one made here with a different plant for the body. The Fisher Body line was on the second floor of the St. Louis Assembly plant. The bodies came down a trolley from Fisher to Chevy. But never say never, it could have happened, but not likely.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cowl tag, de-coding, help!, vin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page