Big or small? - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Big or small?

Hi, I'm brand new as an Impala Owner, I just picked up a 1967 SS Fastback

It comes with a running (but needs refreshed) 454 (edit = it's a 396) TH400 in it. I have the build sheet and it originally had the L30 275 HP 327 and "3 spd auto tr".

I plan to use the car as a cruiser and perhaps a bit of a bruiser but in a blue funk deciding whether to use the refreshed 454 or scrounge up a wicked SBC?

Fun street bruiser vs. "correct"

Any input?

Last edited by Ampaholic; 09-19-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: to correct engine size misinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM

The old saying, No replacement for displacement.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the Team Rick!

I would rebuild your 454 as a 489 (a 496 that hasn't been bored all the way to 0.060" over allowing you one more rebuild in the future as these blocks are becoming scarcer now). I would use a n Ohio Crank or a SCAT rotating assembly with a cast crank to keep costs down. I would specify internal balance as it really adds to the longevity of the motor. Add a new stroker oil pan form Milidon with the pick-up already welded onto a Mellings high volume pump.

Since you are approaching the magic 500 cube displacement number I would also look into upgrading the heads to rectangular port HiPerf cast iron heads or a set of larger Roval aftermarket aluminum port heads (no one uses a rectangular port because of the dead air space in the corners, but they are stretching the round or oval port heads). This is especially true if you are currently using the "peanut port" factory heads found on a late model pick-up truck donor motor. Since Chevy hasn't put a big block in a car since 1973 ('74 if you consider the 600 or so Corvettes with a big block), all heads cast from 1974 up are the small "peanut port" heads that are no larger than the heads you would find on a 350 small block.

Car motors and teats are better when they are bigger. I personally only build bra busters.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 AM
BA.

Welcome to the site!

Your car is heavy, I'd stick with that BB.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Rick!

I would rebuild your 454 as a 489 (a 496 that hasn't been bored all the way to 0.060" over allowing you one more rebuild in the future as these blocks are becoming scarcer now). I would use a n Ohio Crank or a SCAT rotating assembly with a cast crank to keep costs down. I would specify internal balance as it really adds to the longevity of the motor. Add a new stroker oil pan form Milidon with the pick-up already welded onto a Mellings high volume pump.

Since you are approaching the magic 500 cube displacement number I would also look into upgrading the heads to rectangular port HiPerf cast iron heads or a set of larger Roval aftermarket aluminum port heads (no one uses a rectangular port because of the dead air space in the corners, but they are stretching the round or oval port heads). This is especially true if you are currently using the "peanut port" factory heads found on a late model pick-up truck donor motor. Since Chevy hasn't put a big block in a car since 1973 ('74 if you consider the 600 or so Corvettes with a big block), all heads cast from 1974 up are the small "peanut port" heads that are no larger than the heads you would find on a 350 small block.

Car motors and teats are better when they are bigger. I personally only build bra busters.

Big Dave
??"Teats"?? I don't recall using that term when I was growing up in hills in W.Va.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 PM

Naw when and where I was raised I spoke French and English, as well as speaking, I learned how to spell the Queen's English. Sorry if I coloured my language. But that is how the Grand Tetons got their name (from a horny French fur trapper who called them that).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page