norwegian guy - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

norwegian guy

Hi.

I'm new here,
have a 65' Impala sport coupe with
a 327 and a powerglide.
Hope to get a bigger engine and stroner
transmission now in the winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Velkommen to the Team Anders!

Your winters probably last a bit longer than the six weeks of below 21 degrees C I have to put up with in Florida (can you hear Mickey calling to you?)

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

hehe, yeah it's a bit longer. ist cold from about october to april.
so i have some time to upgrade the car before the next season.and that is why i'm here, so i hope i can get som tips and hint about engine and transmissions and the swap..

PS. Sorry for my bad english

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

I hear there are two seasons in Norway: Winter and July!

Welcome
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

that's not far away from true
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 PM

I can make a number of suggestions; but I don't know what you have to work with in terms of resources (such as used car parts, or engine builders that can turn out Chevy motors), or your budget, or the restrictions on what you can do to the car imposed by the European Union and your local government in terms of emissions etc.

In sunny Florida you can put a tag on the back of a Top Fueler and drive it in on the street because the restrictions they wrote on noisy exhausts are unenforceable, no one checks emissions or safety equipment with the exception if it has a windshield it has to have at least one operating wiper and one tail light and head light if operated after dark. I ran a thousand horse monster on the street until I retired it because it was starting to scare me with how squirrely it handled.

Some places in the US are a little more restrictive and where the principle cause of a lot of the problems that forced the death knell of muscle cars. I won't mention any names, but the other 49 states know who to blame.

If it were mine I would pull the original motor and transmission and replace the 327 small block with a SBC 406 built to crank out about 400 to 450 horsepower, going through a 200R4 transmission to a set of 3.90 to 3.73 rear gears. The advantage is it looks like a 327 if they have a visual inspection. Properly tuned it should also pass the sniffer test if they do a tail pipe sniff. The OD allows you to run the steeper gears and still get better mileage than the 327.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

my budget is not that high. but it's actually cheaper to buy a new crate engine from the United States than to build up and get more horse out of the old 327.

But you are totally right the government here don't like this at all. if I shall follow the rules by the book the car has to be almost original.
But I can't follow the rules, I'm going to the drag strip next year..

I'm very jealous that you can drive your fast, loud and high horse muscle cars legally on the street.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM

I never did follow the rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page